Can not JOIN to SAFE network

BREAKING: Testnet 15 launches Thursday!!!

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Spoilers man, :frowning:

8 Likes

:wink:

13 Likes

Dang it, more wrong than Trump. How embarrassing is that!? :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

8 Likes

So, any news when the network will be up again?

From the latest Dev update:

So, sounds like next week if all goes well with the testing.

5 Likes

Hi there! Excuse me for demanding, but currently I’m being on Blockchain-friendly hackathon and our team needs MaidSafe for making some crazy stuff. Therefore I’m extremely need a connection to SAFE network right now which doesn’t work for me now. Is there any way to connect the network ASAP?

My OS is Win7 x64 if this matter.

I’m sorry, but there is no network up at the moment.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer, at least I understood that the problem is not on my side. :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

So sad. This could’ve been handled better. I hope this never happens again to anyone trying to develop for the safe network. A stop gap could have been in place for this person and his team. :pensive:

1 Like

How so?

It is alpha 1 going to alpha 2

I doubt we can expect anything better. You can blame serious bugs for the gap between alphas. And without recoverable data, then every time the alpha 1 network died and restarted the network would come back up and app developers & users have to restart loading data/accounts again. Maidsafe understandably decided against restarting and using up their resources to keep restarting a bugged alpha 1 and using their resources elsewhere.

Also mock crust/routing can help as a stop-gap

Good news is that as we go through the alpha stages this should not happen as much. And when data republish is implemented the data won’t be lost either. One cannot expect a network to be constantly running until beta (my opinion/experience)

3 Likes

Terse but true
Alpha means alpha (c) TM <— @happybeing’s favourite person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The droplets are idle and alpha 1 was fairly stable. It could’ve been restarted and left to run if only to show others that a remote network is indeed running. The Maidsafe download page is now without anything to offer but a promise of future binaries. For these testers and programmers real network feedback could be more satisfying than mock even if some changes to the API are incoming. I’m thinking of the morale of those standing in wait. The psychology of this entire experience is an important factor to consider for community growth.

I agree and expect this. I personally would try to prevent any downtime at all. I don’t want to lose any potential hard hitters in app development even if I find their impatience and their inclination for rapid dismissal off putting. The sooner we have those killer apps the better!!! :laughing:

6 Likes

OK you make a couple of good points. I think most of us will thole the lack of a working network for a short period. I fully expect some sort of network back up within days. If it goes past the Thursday update without a new or slightly reheated with known bugs network, then we might have something to moan about.
But I have complete faith, based on how this project has been handled in the past that we will have NOTHING to complain about.
And I am equally certain that the guys in Troon know this fine and will have something very soon for us to play with, whether with the recent bug fixes or not.
Im guessing Tuesday 1400GMT if anyone is running a sweep on “When will we have a network to deveop on”

2 Likes

Tuesday 16:00 GMT for me :wink:

We’d have to get a bit unlucky with testing on Monday for it not to happen on Tuesday by the sounds of what was said last week.

1 Like

Where is @bluebird we need to put up our own community testnet, if possible :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We had one running after test 12b for a while. And I expect that after test 15 we will have one running again.

3 Likes

No disrespect to @Bluebird, but we dont need him.
All that is needed is for a bunch of you with suitably capable bandwidth to agree to do it, decide which client and vault software we are using, agree a network name and share some seed IPs to generate a vault.config file.
Then nominate one person to fire up their vault with the -first flag (or was it -seed?) Its in the docs anyway. Ten the first few of you join in. But not all at once…
It wont be me and I wont be playing cos I am totally snowed under with the Real Job. I’d love to get tore in but realistically, its not going to happen.
Have fun :slight_smile: and all the best.
We did this before, Im sure you can manage it again.

5 Likes

Ill wager a MAID on Today! :fireworks:
(Last of the big spenders)

2 Likes

Since we are not the guys who love well-known ways, we were expecting some unexpected behaviour and have switched to ipfs as not safe, but still working realization of somewhat same API. This stop gap was miserable compared to other ones, btw we even won a bit of goodies :joy: Stay strong Maidsafe!

4 Likes