Can I exploit content rewards by accessing my public content repeatedly:

Can I suggest you review the posts in this discussion, since those issues have been brought up before and some interesting discussions have occurred concerning them.

From your questions there seems to be some points on the SAFE protocol and caching that you may not know which would mitigate those attacks.

Here is one from a few posts above yours

And what if the attavker has some kind of botnet at hand (less probable) or if many nodes, each with their own chunks they would like to promote, demand each others chunks? I don’t understand either how popular content can be rewarded effectively if it is just served from cache without farming attempts…

You can’t demand “each other’s” chunks because the person who posts public content doesn’t get paid for access.
For private access, you’d have to pay, but then most of the coins go to random farmers, so you’d spend more than your friend would gain from you paying for his content.
And content is stored on random places, so it’s not possible to game the system (as a farmer) by reading anyone’s files - even those files you uploaded to SAFE Network.

2 Likes

This question has been asked and discussed before, so you may be able to find the earlier threads which ultimately answered this. I can’t remember the detail, but from memory caching is the main things that nullifies it, together with the fact the rewards for doing this will be small relative to the cost in your resources of doing it.

1 Like

This forum get bigger and bigger every days. Trying to find something it’s getting harder. I just tried with “content reward” in the search and I found one topic talking about that but I didn’t find answer to my question. It’s a huge time consuming going through all the topic in the past. I’m still thinking about the good keyword to put in the search for best result.

Maybe this: Gaming the farming reward?

Disclaimer: haven’t reread the thread myself, just trying to give you a lead.

2 Likes

The topic’s title is not related to what I’m asking but I found the answer completely in the middle of the topic. Thank @Melvin for the lead.

CORRECTION: It’s the same answer but for completely different subject.

1 Like

Compensating artists is important, but its not remotely as important as killing off the theft of attention industry. The interruption industry has to go.

We will use tipped likes to encourage people after the fact (the only place we can evaluate the merit of works from and our desire for more) to produce future works. Thats it. Its like on-the-fly crowd sourcing of artists. Its the simplist way to cut out the middlemen who destroy our political systems. It stops the infinite redirects and premature disconnections (implied above to shil for more coin) and completely disincentivises abuse of attention by removing the conflicts of interest and placing us solidly in control of our own attention.

Whether or not the work around scheme materially complicates or weakens the system there will be the appearance of more centralization and unecessary load. For years before I heard of MaidSAFE I was dreaming about the model being proposed here now but now it seems that popcorn time plus tips plus 8 billion people isnt a compromise, rather its the best way forward.

1 Like

If it costs 1 Safecoin to upload a file, and the earning potential of using a bonnet to drive traffic to that file is 1.01 Safecoin (even if this this takes a long time i.e. reducing the impact of caching?) then the net result is that the attacker has won as they could repeat this millions of times potentially. This is obviously very… obvious, and not exactly a huge insight but still worth saying maybe.

1 Like

A bot net isn’t free though. It takes effort to create, over time they dissolve, and they can be used for other purposes that generate value. Intense usage of bandwidth on infected systems also makes discovery far more likely. I very much doubt trying to game the popular data rewards with a bot net is worthwhile.

2 Likes