Can a node receive data from a node that it can't connect to?

So you have this impression as well that there are no hops now? Do you know where you got this from? Perhaps from me when I thought this was the case? Or somewhere else?

1 Like

No I was taking your confidence it was so and trying to sit on the fence. But since it has been worked out that was wrong.

But what you initially said did worry me about anonymity and info leakage.

Hm, I tried to show that I was not confident in this information…

I’ll need to be clearer in the future.

Thanks!

2 Likes

It sounds like the issue is that Safe is dependent on the internet (IP addresses, ISPs, etc). If this weren’t the case, and connections to nearby routers were made equally as valid as internet connections, is there any reason that Safe couldn’t exist as a meshnet if the internet suddenly disappeared?

Having a hard dependency on the internet without any other options doesn’t seem future-proof, and I hope it can be added later.

Not really. Its more that 99% of users use the internet and not mesh networks independent of the internet. Meshes often connect to the internet through gateways.

In any case why with a new system would you go for mesh networks and ignore the internet where more than 99% of users are?

Also IP/UDP is what routers and switches work with, so why program for a new protocol that is not recognised and never be switched/routed?

1 Like

As I understand it, using the internet means going through ISPs, satellites, and other government-controlled infrastructure. That means that as soon as securely-encrypted traffic is banned from the internet, clients in affected areas won’t be able to download data anymore.

Also, I never suggested we ignore the internet. We should use whatever options there are, and being connected to the internet would obviously make a node much more profitable to run.

There are plenty of powerful people who are openly trying to ban secure encryption. No-one who has the power to ban it needs ordinary citizens to use it. It would be naive to assume it could never happen, considering everything that’s already happened.

1 Like

If you dont trust your ISP, you can get your own autonomous system number and connect dirrecly within one or more peering houses. Nobody is bannig you from doing that.