Calls/requests to outside the network?

@tfa thanks for the examples. I don’t see these as impractical, though I understand what you are saying.

The galaxy site costs the visitor for the period they view it, so it is still usable, and could be changed to give the user view and control of the cost here. And perhaps there are ways to store this data locally - does it have to be on the network? I may be off a bit here because I may don’t fully understand the example, but do you see my thinking? It doesn’t necessarily require storage off SAFE.

The same with NoSQL. Two things: the database can be local and sync’d rather than always updating the network. Secondly, NoSQL may not be the only approach to solving many problems, just one that people are used to using until they get to know SAFE and its key-value approach, and later who knows.

So I’m not seeing these as definitely things that require off SAFE storage, though perhaps they will. I’m not sure.

This may answer some of @davidpbrown’s questions, but probably not all. I don’t have time now to go through them but will try to come back later.

There is a misunderstanding here: The user just visits the site and doesn’t create any data, so he should not pay anything. It’s the network free gets principle. This is true for any read only site that displays dynamic data that could come from a modified json file, a database, an IoT device, …

Exactly. This could have been a workaround for the cost but the problem is that the safe browser doesn’t allow access to outside network.

To summarize all the possibilities to display dynamic data:

• Store them in MDs entries, but this has a cost each time the data is modified

• Make the visitors pay for the cost but most people wouldn’t want to pay

• Create a safe site that gets data from outside, but this doesn’t work because the safe browser blocks these kind of requests

• Create an app that gets data from outside the network, but most people wouldn’t trust an app

This is an assumption. It may be true, at least to start with, but that’s the challenge we face - to provide services that users don’t mind paying for because…

• the cost is small and passive (no work on their part)
  • there’s a benefit: we don’t exploit them with advertising, surveillance and profiling, exposing them to privacy violations etc
  • it feels free because they are able to farm to cover the cost of using your website

So we all have a choice, to either follow the old ways of thinking while waiting until things have been changed… Or set out as early adopter developers to create that change, by thinking differently and showing a different way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

reminds me of one of the best sentences I have been given to read in the last 10 years , about buisness on the internet : " if it is free, keep in mind you must be the product "

And the reason I said he would need another other than the (official) safe browser. (remember the answer was for the other poster and so not necessarily suitable for your purpose.

You are right though for the safe browser

For this you write a file to your local disk, and another application picks up the info and passes it onto the web server

For the user wanting to view then you have web page for it to be viewed with say firefox.

Or the APP is a native application that read the info from the SAFE network, puts it up on the server and for the user the APP reads the web server and displays it.

If I’m understanding David correctly here, it looks like messaging might also give you an option for temporary storage of frequently changing data:

1 Like

and I wonder this might useful:

or perhaps I’m reading too much into that but if a browser hack is a solution to one problem, perhaps a hack to a client is a solution to another?.. if the “Clientmehacks” is a service provider, perhaps that would solve alsorts of problems. Which is what I wondered earlier is a missing piece of the puzzle atm - something attached to the network, that can act as receiver for one particular interest.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.