Buying Maidsafecoin & storage

Thanks, will look at the paper option then.

Iā€™m a complete noob, so to be extra safe I downloaded the latest Electrum and setup a 2fa authentication and moved all my MAID & Synereo to the new address off the exchanges.

I now have a major problem. When I enter my private key into Omni the address it comes up with, is NOT the same as the address that I have in my electrum account.

From some reading Iā€™ve done it appears the 2fa address that I have starts with the number 3JAX9xkuAc93qkvFā€¦ and Omni only recognizes the address as 1KNzUe8RddBG3kTgi9rrfqmVgCNLokLQZK off the same private key. I canā€™t see my MAID when I use the 1KNzUā€¦ but I can still see it all if I enter a ā€˜watch addressā€™ using the 3JAX9xkuAc93qkvFā€¦ address but I canā€™t move it.

Am I completely done here? Can anyone please help out.
Cheers
Larry

You still have the private key so you can use Electrum isnā€™t it? I would try to send coins to a completely new, non-multisig address on the Omni system if thatā€™s your storage of choice. The 2FA is done using a server somewhere.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/2fa.html

Thanks for the quick reply. I setup another new omni account entered my private key but the address that comes up starts with 1KNzUā€¦ and not 3JAX9xkuAc93qkvFā€¦ where all my MAID is Omni will only show an address with 1KNzUā€¦ any other ideas I could try?

Can you still use Electrum with the 2FA?? In that case, make a new address on Omni so you donā€™t have to import a private key. Now use Electrum, with the private key and the 2FA to send the MAID from the current address to the new address you just got on Omni.

The MAID from the current address only shows up in an Omni account as "watch onlyā€™ importing the address key (not the private key). If I enter the private key it only shows a completely different address. I canā€™t see any MAID it in the Electrum account to move. It only shows bitcoin.

This is correct, Electrum only reads Bitcoin transactions. Omni is a protocol on top of the Bitcoin blockchain. So the Omniwallet does recognize that little BTC transaction as being MAID.

Maybe someone can jump in here who does have experience with Electrum. Iā€™m not familiair with the 2FA protection. Did a little read on the link above and it seems you use a multisig address where you own 2 of the 3 keys. So you need 2 private keys to do a transaction. 1 by you and one by the 2FA server. Or just your 2 keys. Do you have another private key somewhere??

I can only find the one private keyā€¦I think thatā€™s the problem. I need to somehow turn off the 2 FA so that the wallet only uses the 1 key or somehow find the other key. Iā€™ll poke around a little bit more but this problem is a BIG gotcha thatā€™s for sure!

Yes, this one is no fun. This is what it says on their link:

Even if TrustedCoin is compromised or taken offline, your coins are secure as long as you still have the seed of your wallet. Your seed contains two master private keys in a 2-of-3 security scheme. In addition, the third master public key can be derived from your seed, ensuring that your wallet addresses can be restored. In order to restore your wallet from seed, select ā€œwallet with two factor authenticationā€, as this tells Electrum to use this special variety of seed for restoring your wallet.

Looks to me you should already have 2 keys, and the 2FA server 1. But not sure.

I think Iā€™ll need to reach out to electrum themselves because Iā€™m way out of my depth here. I hope they can help

1 Like

This has something to do with it I think

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address
Common P2PKH which begin with the number 1, eg: 1BvBMSEYstWetqTFn5Au4m4GFg7xJaNVN2.
Newer P2SH type starting with the number 3, eg: 3J98t1WpEZ73CNmQviecrnyiWrnqRhWNLy.

I have a newer P2SH type which I donā€™t think Omni recognizes.

Could be true.

The second new feature we want to highlight this milestone is the addition of Armory Offline Addresses. Omniwallet now has the ability to create Armory Offline transactions to send or create MasterProtocol Currencies. Using this feature you can securely monitor address and create transactions in Omniwallet which can only be signed by your already secure offline Armory machine. Take a look at the Armory Offline Address wiki page to get started. Side note, while sending and creating with offline addresses is supported we are still working on adding support for buying/selling MasterProtocol currencies.

Maybe some more info here?

As far as Iā€™m aware of one can not move MAID useing Electrum.

1 Like

Ohw thanks, makes sense as itā€™s a Bitcoin wallet only.

Isnā€™t using Omniwallet currently the only way to transfer MAID?

1 Like

To my knowledge, that is correct - only Omni allows moving MAID

I think there is also another wallet that you can move MAID with. Itā€™s HolyTransaction Wallet.

1 Like

Has anyone actually used the ā€œHolyTransactionā€ wallet. The name doesnā€™t exactly inspire confidence!

Has anyone had any experience importing private keys from electrum into omniwallet? Everytime i try it creates the wrong address. I have been storing maid in electrum for a while but have had zero success importing the address :confused: any help is appreciated.