Builders: Most popular dev languages

Going off of our last Safe pod hangout… please post the top languages you will be working with so the core devs can get a better understanding of what app builders will be working with for API wrappers!

Once we get a top 5 list, I’ll make this into a poll.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Top languages I will be working with or that I’m comfortable working with today?
Today: Javascript, C#
Would like all APIs be available through REST calls. I have not listened to the latest POD yet so I might be off context.
Future: Javascript, Nodejs, C#

1 Like

I can certainly give a few suggestions for languages:

• C++ - Hey you got Qt.
  • Java Droid - Take out the 80+ % smartphone coverage with that in it’s native lang
  • Obj C - take out the balance(nearly) of mobile phones and tablets. Don’t forget the OSX desktops
  • .Net(C#) - VB can port from C# anyways. Get some native Win support with WPF/ASP
  • JS(JavaScript) - Nodejs, well it’s just JS anyways with some modules :slight_smile:

Not really sure about how TypeScript and stuff fare

You can always have some scripting languages too:

• Python - Well just cos we don’t want to leave them out. kidding

Finally:

• C - Enuff said I guess, could almost go to all them above languages from this(with some effort).
1 Like

Mmm, wrapping all our APIs as COM objects starts to look even more sensible. RESTful APIs are a cinch to auto-generate from COM type libraries for example. You also gain reasonably easy language support for everything above if we were to write a COM type library to SWIG interface file converter.

Niall

1 Like

javascript
-node.js
java

I’ll work with Haxe, it can compile to a lot of languages, like C++, C#, Java, JavaScript and even Python and Php. It is statically typed language so the compiler does a lot of work for you during compilation.

Also with libs like openfl and Kha it can target a lot of platforms, like iOS, Android, Mac, Windows and Linux.