Going off of our last Safe pod hangout… please post the top languages you will be working with so the core devs can get a better understanding of what app builders will be working with for API wrappers!
Once we get a top 5 list, I’ll make this into a poll.
Top languages I will be working with or that I’m comfortable working with today?
Would like all APIs be available through REST calls. I have not listened to the latest POD yet so I might be off context.
I can certainly give a few suggestions for languages:
- C++ - Hey you got Qt.
- Java Droid - Take out the 80+ % smartphone coverage with that in it’s native lang
- Obj C - take out the balance(nearly) of mobile phones and tablets. Don’t forget the OSX desktops
- .Net(C#) - VB can port from C# anyways. Get some native Win support with WPF/ASP
Not really sure about how TypeScript and stuff fare
You can always have some scripting languages too:
- Python - Well just cos we don’t want to leave them out. kidding
- C - Enuff said I guess, could almost go to all them above languages from this(with some effort).
Mmm, wrapping all our APIs as COM objects starts to look even more sensible. RESTful APIs are a cinch to auto-generate from COM type libraries for example. You also gain reasonably easy language support for everything above if we were to write a COM type library to SWIG interface file converter.
Also with libs like openfl and Kha it can target a lot of platforms, like iOS, Android, Mac, Windows and Linux.