Blockchain with Datachain

Is it able to run an existing blockchain or do I have to see this more like running a blockchain created on safenetwork to support a token newly created special for the purpose on safenetwork ?

Not sure how this will interface with blockchains, but blockchain function is not necessary to fulfill making tokens any number of different token types, very similar to safecoin but not at the core level.

I recommend SAFE Crossroads podcast #30, part of which discusses altcoins.

The functions of datachains, as I understand it, has more to do with establishing and maintaining data integrity and enabling network recovery in case of major outage, etc., though I’m sure it opens a lot more doors than that.

4 Likes

Actually I meant a traceable token, I wasn’t specific enough :wink:

I’ll definitely listen to the episode…

1 Like

I think it might be possible to use data chains with a block chain. The main advantages of data chains are they are fast,fully anonymous, don’t get clunky over time and are secured by randomness so it is unlikely it will be comprised. Now block chains are pseudo anonymous but everyone has access to its information publicly which is sometimes an important advantage. Now if you combined the two you might be able to use block chain as an archive of what you wanted to store for everyone to see while so people could see other peoples balance or whatever data type/value the block chain held and then use data chains for storing stuff that is supposed to be private or will just make the blockchain clunky. What could be very interesting is if on the safe net you could have two types of data chains one for private use (which to my knowledge is the current data chain now ) and a public one (this doesn’t necessarily mean all types of data go here and it is a single public chain for everyone and everything on safe net, just that they are publicly viewable) while being fast and pseudo anonymous.

2 Likes

You should be able to use appendable data for this.

The owner of the tokens could initialise the token with an initial transaction, with subsequent transactions showing changes in ownership.

A transaction could be signed by the giver, in order for the transaction to be valid. Any transaction which could not be validated would be ignored.

I am sure more comprehensive solutions could be designed, but the above would be a relatively trivial starting point.

Edit: To add, I believe data chains are for maintaining network data integrity, rather than being used as data types by developers. Of course, this will implicitly allow appendable data to be reliable.

1 Like

I don’t think that appendable data are the best solution. With the tag 501 you can create a versioned SD who store all the previous version history.

2 Likes