Big tech needs to channel Netflix and 'clear the trash out of the internet

CNBC: Silicon Valley’s Jaron Lanier: Big tech needs to channel Netflix and ‘clear the trash out of the internet’. Of note: The idea that technology companies will somehow be able to tell users what they can and can’t say, and who can hear what, will never work, Lanier warned, “no matter how smart and well-intentioned.”

“What we have to do is fix the things that we broke … so that the tech companies aren’t in this position of being arbiters for all society and civilization. It’s a terrible role. Nobody wants them to have it; they don’t want it,” Lanier said.

1 Like

I find this very powerful and sooooo much like this application of “arbiters”

Is Maidsafe making it so? Is this part of the Maidsafe pitch?

1 Like

I think it is, but maybe subtle. Nick talks a lot about the user’s data being the product of many companies. Even netflix has a problem there too. Why for instance does it matter who is paying for the service, just that they pay? This is where we also overlap with bitcoin (slightly).

Services I see should work like this, a person likes the service and decides to pay for it, their ID should be random (before zerfoflaw gets involved, this is random in the common accepted view) for that service. The user’s software should then create an anonymous ID for the service and pay with that id, but also use the id to login to the service. No need to KYC for services like this. Of course, humans being humans always think, oh if we could segregate our customers into marketing groups (a1 c3 etc.), then we can get more profit etc. etc. This is most likely false and certainly has many unintended consequences (look at recent election polls for instance).

Therefore I think we are heading in the right direction to allow payments for services and importantly logins to services, private. This to me is key. Then the consumer of your service is the customer, if your service is great, then more customers and that is fair.

Then for the marketing folks who wish to categorise people they can do it differently. If for instance they think kids or a1 customers would like a service, they can make it available and find out, but due to the number of consumers of the service and not guessing who that will be from existing customer categorisation gained from just gathering info that is valid perhaps at some point in time (people change opinions).

So yes I think we are on track, perhaps do not talk enough of this, but I feel this is an important issue.

8 Likes