Best Safe Node hardware

The question that first comes up for me is: how long would it take to recover the purchase and running costs by farming? No-one knows! The CHIP computer and its ilk lower the downside risk in that regard.

2 Likes

But i have 500mb internet so i could run a nice amount of vaults, i dont know how CHIP computer can handle. Do you have a Example of chip computer?

And isnt it also about storage.

A chip cant handle more then a x amount of gb right cause of the vault gb restriction ?

The one Happy posted was about 23 Watt of power thats not a lot at all.

2 Likes

How much is a lot? My comment was that no-one knows how long to amortize your startup cost, so the cheapest setup hedges your bets.

The network interface on the CHIP is the same bandwidth as a regular, new PC: 1GB. And I rather doubt that processing power will be a bottleneck, given the few percent load (on a Celeron) that I’ve seen.

A CHIP computer is on its way to me and I’ll be able to answer soon enough. Evidently, @neo is using one at present so he would be in a better position to answer.

1 Like

[quote=“bluebird, post:388, topic:99”][quote=“bluebird, post:388, topic:99”]
My comment was that no-one knows how long to amortize your startup cost, so the cheapest setup hedges your bets.

The network interface on the CHIP is the same bandwidth as a regular, new PC: 1GB. And I rather doubt that processing power will be a bottleneck, given the few percent load (on a Celeron) that I’ve seen.

A CHIP computer is on its way to me and I’ll be able to answer soon enough. Evidently, @neo is using one at present so he would be in a better position to answer
[/quote]

comment was that no-one knows how long to amortize your startup cost, so the cheapest setup hedges your bets.

A CHIP computer is on its way to me and I’ll be able to answer soon enough. Evidently, @neo is using one at present so he would be in a better position to answer.
[/quote]

=CHIP same like Pine64 ?

CHIP has about 3.3 GB of free space onbaord. SD card reader+64GB SD+CHIP is about 40$ and still aout 3-5 watts

As @bluebird says the CHIP has fast WiFi like laptops have and so far it has been more than enough to handle the traffic. WiFi is about 50Mbits/sec. The PINE a 64bit ARM has Gb/s interface.

CHIP has been up and running for a week now and doing all that is required of a vault without breaking a sweat.

Is that upload speed too? It is the upload speed that is important as it is the slowest and to be useful the vault has to upload chunks. This is what will limit the number of vaults/nodes you can run on your internet link.

Oops, wifi of course. I was thinking of Raspberry Pi, which is also on my shopping list.

1 Like

Just got this from chip… gutted.
Pre-orders placed before APR 30 are estimated to ship by AUG 31.
Pre-orders placed before MAY 31 are estimated to ship by SEP 8.
Pre-orders placed before JUN 30 are estimated to ship by SEP 15.
Pre-orders placed on or before JUL 22 are estimated to ship by SEP 22.

Just read that before coming here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Bummer.

I got my pre-orders that I did as soon as pre orders were available. 2 pre orders of 5xchips each and one of them were good CHIPs the other pre order were a batch of DOAs. Really odd. Tried all the tricks but they only get part way through flashing process.

I’ve got enough to do testing and maybe some bare metal programming for a project/idea rather than using a much less powerful microcontroller.

I guess a silver lining may be a delay due to fixing issues. 50% dud rate is poor even at $9

1 Like

I gather from the forum that it is rare for so many to be DOA at once.

The delays are understandable and the result of being too popular. The same happened to the original RPi

Its to do with the scaling up of production. The trick is to not scale up too large in case demand suddenly drops off when a better shiner board appears.

1 Like

could i use a raspberry pi 3 + sata to usb 3.0 adapter to connect one hdd of 2 TB and another of 1 TB? or maybe it would do bottleneck?

Yes, since the vault software now only loads a (low-end) PC’s CPU by a few percent, so why not strip the processing power down to the minimum.

Also, there are co-location centers where you can plug in your own equipment, in a locked cage with 24/7 access, instead of renting a server. That strikes me as the best possible arrangement: a stack of 2TB drives, each run by a Pi running one vault instance, and pay the extra £5/mo to give each one its own IP address.

4 Likes

Nice! thank you for the answer, and do you know which is a good version of linux to run the testnets?

No particular distro is better-suited for the testnets. And I imagine that by beta there will be various (Docker) images.

Nice turnkey farming unit. I wonder what the power consumption is.

The fanless mini PC can be bought pre-loaded with Ubuntu 16.04, Windows 10 Pro, or without any operating systems as it is sold in four configurations:

• Barebone without memory nor storage – $149
  • Ubuntu 16.04 with 4GB RAM, 64 GB SSD – $199
  • Windows 10 Pro with 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD – $299
  • Windows 10 Pro with 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD – $349

As a neophyte I need all the help i can get. I am interested in any info you get regarding a package deal.

I ordered to Pine64 and a Chip and will as soon as i get them update how they are working

1 Like

What do you guys think about this one

already include 640 gb and uses 17w as they stated.

1 Like

Thats more a general computing platform, and a price to match.

Your still going to be better with a PINE64 with 64GB SD card (or 60$ hard drive) using less power and costing a whole lot less.

We have to remember that if you want coin then price/performance has to be considered. Even the CHIP can run multiple vaults and the PINE is more powerful at twice the price and still cheap at 19$ or 29$

Remember that the coin from farming is aimed at people using SPARE resource costing them 0$ so any coin is profit. But if you spend $300+ for a specific farming unit then it may take a very long time to recover the capital outlay.

If you take the big picture, SAFE is hoping that there will be at least many millions of vaults out there at any one time and each earning coin. So if coin is earned too fast then they will be dished out a lot faster than they can be recycled and end up issuing all the coin reserves.

So taking the big picture you must realise that coin issuance is in fine balance with storage and recycling. So you cannot expect the many millions (eventually 100’s) vaults to be earning that many coins a day/week, if indeed it gets one a day average. Maybe initially vaults will earn faster but the coin price will be low too.

1 Like

Anyone have something I can buy yet?