Best Safe Node hardware

The question is how good the Pine A64 will be in reality.

See this thread.

Very true.

I do hardware hacking and having processing power is great for some projects. Anyone expecting desktop abilities with these units (chip, RPi, pine) are going to be disappointed. But when you consider that they are the kind of power you get in many tablets, well they will have their uses.

Will be interested if these v.cheap units will adequately run the SAFE s/w to provide vaults. I am guessing that they will.

2 Likes

I had asked Robert Scoble directly about the board:

Today
D
8:38am
D
Greetings, just wondering about the 15$ board - is it really not compatible with linux?

R
12/17, 8:40am
R
It was Android they were running
D
8:40am
D
I see
so its possible it needs more work for linux?
R
12/17, 8:40am
R
Yup.

I guess Iā€™m glad that you can only buy one I think. And anyway it could make use as a good offline wallet or something that runs android applications without the phone part. If in fact they do get the Linux working and seems they are trying hard enough then it might be good for a farming device after all.

I like this approach, and preserve knowledge on what works and what doesnt.

Edit: Im on the side that this might not be the best farming hardware afterall;

2 Likes

Well if it runs Android there will be a client early on, and also a vault planned for later, not much later I hope! It should be possible to compile oneself too of course, so the community could probably support it.

2 Likes

I do tons of things with ARM dev boards, and theyā€™re a lot of fun, but can fail at many tasks, so:

• This thing gonna work inside of 1GB RAM?
  • What kernel version will users need?
  • Are we currently ported to ARM?
  • Docker support in order to host SAFE nodes inside of the public cloud? (hey: thereā€™s a hella-lot of bandwidth and good, direct routes there, you know.)
  • Have the projectā€™s engineers had a second to think about the likelihood of HW backdoors (and if you have I do recommend that you not spend another second on it-- good practice demands we assume they exist, and good sense demands that we make security as good as possible regardless of the possible existence of total exploits on nearly every widely deployed platform that exists)
  • Howā€™re we looking for a late 2016 LowRISC port?
1 Like

Would it be in my interest to set up rigs in multiple different locations instead of just one?

What I mean by that is that I have the option to set up individual rigs at about 20 different locations covering 3 states. Would it be of benefit to me (rewards) and to the networkā€¦ or would I be better off keeping them all together.
Basically would there be any difference?

The network will not know where you are.

The benefit of setting up in 20 states is that: if you had an outage in 3 of 20 states, then your safecoin earning stays in tact on 17/20 and the network still has reliability from 17/20

Whereas if all 20 are in one state and it has an outage your safecoin flow is stopped, and the network lost all 20 in one shot. which isnā€™t a problem assuming the other 19 states each have someone such as yourself, with 20 machinesā€¦ for example.

So that is the actual benefits to setting in multiple states, the network wonā€™t punish you for being all in the same state since it wonā€™t know that afaik.

Think of it, if there is only 20 computers all in the same room that make up the safe network, then that works and it wonā€™t require any of them to be somewhere else.

1 Like

The upload speed of the Internet connections iā€™s an important part of this. Assuming all connections are the same speed Iā€™d anticipate youā€™d get much better results over the 20 connections.

3 states, 20 locations but your point would remain the same. thanks for both of your thoughts. @dallyshalla power outages are not a concern, the locations have back up systems for uninterrupted power supply. @sam_uk the connection speed differences would be negligible, but if my connection is constant and location is irrelevant spreading them out seems pointless.
I was under the impression that to prevent large scale btc type farming there would be benefit in working a way out to scatter the farms.

Hold on I think I misunderstood your comment at first. So you are saying my results will be better spread out over 20 connections despite the network being unaware, provided that all connections are equal. Is that based on assumption or is there reasoning behind it?

1 Like

The point was that if you have 20 machines on a 10Mbit/sec upload link then your 20 machines are limited to that amount for sending data.

If your 20 machines are in 20 locations each with 10Mbit/sec upload link == 200Mbit/sec upload capacity

2 Likes

good point, thanks! I think that solves it then.

1 Like

FreeBSD (FeenNAS) will not be supported for the MVP, or? I would really like to use ZFS as filesystem

Iā€™m not sure on the BSD question, but itā€™s worth noting that ZFS is an option on Linux ZFS on Linux

We do not have this as a teir 1 so itā€™s not tested on freebsd. In saying that Niall did a load of tests on bsd and ZFS and AFAIK it all worked. If somebody had a freebsd machine that could accept webhooks or similar we could take time and add it in. Itā€™s a great platform for both users and of course testing (it sets specific and correct working methods).

We have same with arm although we do test that, ad-hoc @Ross is adding a script to run on travis using qemu so we can promote arm as teir 1.

ATM teir 1 is windows/linux/osx X86 32 & 64 bit for now.

5 Likes

My hero :trophy:

Blahtwentychars

3 Likes

Because I am not that tech-saavy I was thinking of a solution for myself. Will the below work?

I am thinking of 1 x R-Pi2 model B+, SD card (not decided on which yet, just for OS), Raspbian OS, 1 x PiTFT Plus 480x320 3.5" TFT+Touchscreen, & 2 x Seagate 1TB external hard drives.

Will this work, have I forgotten anything could I do something better, should I think about cooling?

Search: farming hardware

Iā€™m not techsavage ether, but it might work what you have in mind
:stuck_out_tongue:

Dedicated USB power supply for the disks.

1 Like

Also Iā€™d use your PC first till we see how things go during the testing phase. The ARM s/w may initially lag the Win/linux/OSX releases.

2TB will be a lot of storage for initial use too. Maybe start with 1TB and buy the next drive later on and the price will be cheaper too

1 Like