Best Safe Node hardware

If anyone using these odroids can make a video like this that would be awesome

2 Likes

@goindeep

Hereā€™s me hoping the software is point and click for the dummies like myself.

Thatā€™s the idea.

Im thinking somethings along the lines of a mini pc or a rasberry pi to dedicate because I can literally plug and play. And from what I am reading you can even build a small or large scale farm with the rasberry piā€™s.

Yes, these will work fine, as will the Odroid suggested by @betterthantrav - Iā€™m using a pair of Odroid-U3 with external disks as youā€™ll find posted on the forum.

Thereā€™s not much to do to create a farm - unlike bitcoin mining these days. To set up one machine, connect to internet, download and install the farming vault and youā€™re done. Configuration involves supplying your wallet address and deciding how much disk space to allocate to the vault. Thatā€™s all.

To add more machines you just need to be able to connect them to the (same) internet connection, which again is simple for a handful of machines, but will vary depending on the equipment your ISP supplies.

Can anyone guess the load on CPU and memory? Since we spoke about synology, would such a machine have the power to provide about 100tb to the network?

Only testing can answer these kinds of questions, but this is how Iā€™d approach itā€¦

My sense is that people over estimate the amount of work a vault will have to do - i.e the frequency with which data it holds will be retrieved.

If you can, Iā€™d start by looking at a standard network using such a setup and how it performs on that. Then consider what if any differences there will be for use as a vault.

My guess is a vault will have less load than a standard NAS on a network because of caching by other nodes. So if it can handle 100TB on a LAN Iā€™d expect it to be good for a vault. Just guessing though!

1 Like

Thanks. MAIDSAFE is indeed fascinating. I will continue to think about it over the next few Monts. I might start with something much smaller to test the water, but I eventually will need those 100TB as I have about 20TB of private data to save in the network. I am SO looking forward! :smiley:

If nodes need to cache a lot, then so does your own vaultā€¦

Iā€™ve just acquired 5 raspberry pi 2 :slight_smile: letā€™s see how they goes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good point @Seneca, though I still think the outcome is less work (cache retrieval v disk retrieval).

Has there been any discussion comparing hard drive setups with USB 2 versus usb 3 versus SATA versus eSATA? It seems a lot of these Pi like boards stuck with a USB 2 only might be too limited?

If you typed up a tutorial (or better yet made a video) on how to setup he hardware, download and setup vault etc, you would attain legend status in my book!

1 Like
  • Extremely loooooong build times for non-trivial software
  • Small RAM
  • Potential problems with architecture-related bugs if you build non-trivial software

None of this makes Pi unsuitable, but it may be a bit of a challenge.

Just throwing this out there as an idea.

Seeing as we have a lot of people who seem to be getting prepared for Testnet3 and Beta with their farming hardware. Would it be a good idea to set-up a document we can all access (google doc) and list what hardware and tech people are using for their tests and then publish the results?

2 Likes

@goindeep :

Would it be a good idea to set-up a document we can all access (google doc) and list what hardware and tech people are using for their tests and then publish the results?

Brilliant idea. All we need us for someone to kick this off and encourage people to join in! [Looks aroundā€¦ grins]

1 Like

JetsonTK1 development board just arrived

5 Likes

Raspberry Pi 2 - these things are tiny;

4 Likes

:sleepy: Same thing for my TRS-80 Color Computer :joy:

1 Like

Amazon just alerted me that mine was delivered today. I canā€™t wait to get it running tonight. Then I will install Ubuntu on it tomorrow. These are cool little devices.

You are going to put Ubuntu on a TRS-80? Lol :wink:

1 Like

Funnyā€¦ I thought I was replying to the raspberry pi 2 post.

1 Like

So, does anyone continue to investigate the most suitable hadware solutions to farm? I didn,t make up my mind yet. I am on the market for a dedicated machine with anything between 10 to 24 bays to put in my attic 24/7. While I love the idea of using a ready made synology NAS with the docker file, I have yet to hear about a working similar configuration before I buy a new NAS.