Australia: Mandatory Data Retention Starts Tomorrow

Yes that would work.

There are issues with phone usage too that is addressed in that thread and by at least one senator.

Location data is one major issue that is not addressed by your suggestion when one is using their mobile and their ISPs mobile data. In general a VPN and offshore email providers will stop the majority of internet data collection for home use and using free wifi points when mobile help too.

On Android one can install Tor Browser (which is not light on battery), but that’s just a very minor part of what needs to be done. I’m afraid the bare minimum is to root your phone, install Cyanogen Mod or such and then harden it (too much work, I already maintain a crapload of OS at home and really don’t need another one, and potentially if you screw up you can create even worse security and privacy holes on your phone, etc.).

Mobile is screwed, but mobile internet access is what everyone “must” use nowadays. Unless one can afford to buy a Blackphone, it takes a lot of effort and discipline to get the bare minimum of privacy… For Average Joe type of mobile user, resistance is really becoming futile.
You could direct your mobile device to use the same secure HTTP proxy (the hosted one that you use from home as well), but that’d be just a fraction of what has to be done.

No good if you use your ISPs mobile data. The location information is obtained from the ISPs records, not your phone. So it does not matter what system, vpn, proxy you use the location data is there if you use mobile data. But if you use wifi hotspots then the data is recorded against the wifi hotspot, and not tagged to your account.

Basically, I rarely use my phone anyhow and when I am out and about I usually have it off and only use if needed.

That’s something I’ve been thinking as well - disable data completely…

Location info: I agree, Tor just does one small part of what you need. But as long as your phone is on, they get your location anyway.

1 Like

One thing which i feel is missing in this conversation is that most of the ISPs providers of Australia did not have the capacity to store that much data which is necessary to implement this law immediately. But yes, you need an Australian VPN to secure your online data.

I reckon we will see a referendum on this soon and Turnbull would me a lunatic to continue supporting it.

Couple of days back Life hacker Australia updated the list of leading Australia VPN provider in which they have mentioned Ivacy and Expess because it is providing remarkable service to its users also making updations like Ivacy has recently launched Kodi VPN. If anyone is looking for a VPN service then I will highly recommend these two for online security.

For some reason, “Data Retention” brings to mind medical analogies. A SAFE laxative might be just the ticket.

3 Likes

It’ll certainly leave their databases full of shite. All those connection records

1 Like

To protect myself from being trace I use Australia VPN. VPN can make me anonymous by changing my IP address and its a good option for anonymity.

You trust them not to rat you out?

A VPN might be useful for avoidance of targeted advertising, but I don’t see it as protection from the state in a five eyes country such as Australia.

1 Like

Actually Hong Kong based company with special page for Australia.

Now I wonder if thats better or worse :grimacing::sob:

OK, and is there a software agent running on the user’s computer? If not, then I suppose you have a SSL session to the Hong Kong servers, which would be interceptable by a proxy as described here. If there is such an agent, then is it open-source and had a security audit? If not then, as you imply, you’re just swapping “five eyes” for “slanty eyes” :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing,
When i was in Australia i had use ExpressVPN and it was awesome. I want to thanks ExpressVPN review for helping me in choosing VPN.