Article: A plan to redesign the internet could make apps that no one controls

This article is mainly about a new project Dfinity which sounds a bit like Storj for computation, but mentions SAFE and Solid among others, as well as David Irvine.

21 Likes

Yea I spoke with Will yesterday, a nice fella. I met him in 2015 in the new scientist and he wrote up a piece there with Sally Adee. It’s a good article, but “nowhere near release” is probably a miscommunication. We discussed Fleming, Maxwell and I had jokingly said it’s scary because there are so many Scottish inventors I hope we don’t need to use more of them -)

16 Likes

Might be worth it to try to get that one corrected. (Though I don’t know how exactly, when we don’t have timeframes.) Maybe it could just be removed.

I also don’t like how it is said that you admit that release is not near. Like there would have been a claim that it is near and when pressured you admit it’s not true.

2 Likes

Yea I think it’s just English and it’s flexibility, I wish we all spoke latin actually, seems more accurate. Here he means admit as in agree.

I will ping Will to see though what he thinks

7 Likes

I think to be honest he has a theme he was looking to get across “changing public behaviour in the face of powerful incumbents is hard” and he reported his interviewees in a way that supports this idea. Every other paragraph ends with a “But…”. You may be able to persuade him to tweak it a bit to make it more nuanced though. Worth a try.

5 Likes

Well it is matter of perspective, nowhere near means different things to different people.
I’m not offended by the statement.

2 Likes

Exactly. My wild guess was 2022 for beta. Right on target for me but I may have to reassess mid 2021.
I wonder if $100 million capital raising would have made any difference to timescale for Safenet

2 Likes

I actually think we are in a good place and more cash in that scale would not have helped. The focus on engineering a product now is very sharp. More cash would be more departments and offices and fancy plants and decor that costs tons and takes a ton of time.

So to me the tight small team who can debate out issues with no personality stuff or bias and with a focus always on delivery is way more powerful than a large company of opposing “teams”. I recon till the product launches the single team single goal is way more powerful and efficient. Mind you I would love to double everyone’s salary, so there is that :wink:

18 Likes

There are lots of exciting steps between now and a full public release. I’m very excited about the immediate future.

2 Likes

With these new articles popping up, could we get a vault from home test network running again?

2 Likes

Hold
Hold
Hold
:smiley: Won’t be long now. We need a few bits to click, but we are pushing them together.

16 Likes