Are Safe Vaults servers or not: a discussion

Bore category???
Trolling category???

1 Like

Again, this is off-topic and not helpful.

Now now, I am both of them, fully qualified and on the mailing list of many thousands of them. Yes that means I communicate with them.

This is getting stupid, and I’m sorry I do not wish to sound like the old man talking to a youngster who thinks they know it all and obvious to those around they don’t.

Says the man who acts as a knowledgable one who makes claims as if they are absolutely true and yet without “proof”. And one who says SAFE is this or that but does not understand the basics of vaults and sections. Its not that you don’t know these things but that you make bold unfounded statements as if you know more than everyone else here on the subject. Its quite insulting and why you get the reaction.

Again the point went right over your head. A network implied multiple devices/instances communicating with each other. Also a vault on its own cannot be a SAFE network since you need at least one section which is made up of many vaults. I think I will retract “You now know” from my previous post.

1 Like

The difference is, they are my unfounded statements. I don’t generalise them to include groups of people I think would be on my side. Feel free to bring your entire mailing list over to this forum. It can only help grow a healthy community.

Making me out as young as a type of slander is not helpful.

They would be insulted just as I am by your amateur attempt to play word games with a multi billion industry. Sorry its now in the stupid stage and in the usual usage of server (internet usage) a vault is not and will not be called a server by anyone in the industry unless they want to start an argument.

How about you learn what a vault actually is and how a section is formed and its function and then discuss more intelligibly some issues.

Ah, what a party I missed!

What you are saying here is that you’re utterly disappointed Maidsafe can’t alter the laws of the universe and logic itself just so that they could ignore that the order of certain events can established by recording that one caused another. Stuff that we saw happened before other stuff is “more old” and that’s about it.

2 Likes

This a generalisation based on your opinion, bring them all over. I’ll happily defend myself against 20,000 others if they feel they have something to say.

we know you will be very happy. Trolls are happy when someone pays attention to them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you even know what a mailing list is? Your “invite” doesn’t even make sense. You belittle experts here and yet you show yourself to be neither one or even understanding the basics. Pot kettle black rings true here.

Lets just say that as one of the network engineers and system administrators in the world that I am speaking from a position of experience and knowledge. And I would not lower myself to ask other intelligent people working in the industry to this slinging match.

1 Like

You are fully entitled to represent yourself. Not everyone else.

Yes you are part of this community but it dosen’t make you to decide what things should be called. You are entitled to make claims, if a claim seems valid to Maidsafe and the community it will get accepted, if it dont seems valid and is rejected then you should let it go and not go on for eternity. Let the main focus be to make the SAFE-network get to launch and the community to give it life by all cool projects. If it gets stuck on what to name things and never reaches launch then what does it matter what it is called?

2 Likes

Not everyone else, being a little extremist again.

No I represent experience of discussions, learning, teaching others, which by the nature of that includes some people and experience tells me what the industry defines things as. So in some respects it is not speaking for others but speaking what they have already defined. Ever heard of IEEE and other bodies? If they define something then I know what most in the industry considers that definition true and uses it.

You really do need to learn a lot about industry standards and how the education system works where people in the industry can have definitions that most if not all use daily. And it not a misuse to say the people in the industry consider something to be a certain thing.

Your word play is now dismal failure and you are now resorting to saying no one here knows the truth but you do and they need to bring in thousands of experts and you will engage them. How childish is that. Really childish, sorry to say.

1 Like

If we don’t talk about it, it cannot be proven wrong. 3 days isn’t an eternity, and I’m not asking anyone to post replies, they are doing this from of their own free will.

And I have been accepting your representation of experience this whole time. I don’t have a problem with that. Feel free to go and reference IEEE.

Are you just trying to insult now to win a debate? you were doing so well.

I never said you didn’t know the truth or anyone else.

" Is this the way it’s really going down?

Should have known better when you came around

Should have known better that you were gonna make me cry

And now it’s breaking my heart to watch you run around

'Cause I know that you’re living a lie

That’s ok, baby, 'cause in time you will find

What goes around, goes around, goes around

Comes all the way back around" (Justin TImberlake, what goes around comes around) /Peace out

1 Like

with a simple example, I showed you that vaults are software that will work on home computers … From here on calling my home computer server is trolling…

1 Like

Oh but it can feel like one :wink:

IMHO If you want to call farmers servers then fine, if you want to say udp is not networking, then that is also fine. If you like red instead of blue, then that is also fine. If you say anything different from others, then that is also fine. None of it needs to be true or correct for you to state these things and that is also fine, in fact, you can have your opinion about anything you want and it is fine by me. I would just appreciate a bit of decorum and morality in the discussion. I am not partial to my name being used in ways that you have, but that is again your prerogative.

It’s all your choice chap and you are welcome to your thoughts, any time, any place and for whatever reason.

A discussion about labels or names is cool, but perhaps one for its own thread like this, then if the folk care they can read it. Otherwise, it kills a nice update the team made from some pretty hard work and thinking. So this thread will serve the purpose of that space to pontificate, ponder and debate a word.

Thanks, @draw for doing the legwork there to separate this out, it really helps and leaves the dev update thread about the update.

3 Likes

No but Safe Vaults are servers because they … serve data!!

And here are some of the fastest servers:

On another note, please, always tip your servers. It’s good manners.*

* Except in Japan or Korea, among a few other places, where they are actually paid by their employers.

2 Likes

Here you go, server === server in the commonly accepted defention

• A single vault is a server
  • A single vault is not a server

0 voters

1 Like

And Australia and the UK and New Zealand.

not replying to you now @JoeSmithJr

Yea my watch is a server too, it serves data back to the PC. Oh and my wall clock since it serves data to my eyes, and the TV set is a server since it serves TV programs, and the petrol (Gas for USA) station serves petrol and goodies. Oh dear so many things are servers, we should just forget all the normal definitions for those things and what they do and just call them servers too. Oh lets ignore the term in the usual sense

I think that one has forgotten that the fundamentals includes the term

So while everything can be a server we humans have decided to use other terms for the majority of everything_as_servers so that we can better understand what is happening.

So when I want petrol for the car I don’t say I am going to the server, but rather I am going to the petrol station. Thus the usual definition is petrol station rather than server or gas server.

The usual definition of server is well defined for those in the industry and the public also have picked up on that. That is a server like a web server or a nntp server or an email server and so on. That is is usual usage of the term server. Not the one where everything becomes called a server because it responded to a request. My wall clock is requested by me when I look at it and it gives the data I requested. Or my PC that responds to syn packets or browser that responds with headers when the web site requests them as part of the protocol.

The phrase (in the usual definition of a server) should have been a good indicator that we are not talking black and white but using good old communication skills to get across a piece of information (oh dear a server again ugggg) to the audience reading it.

2 Likes