Applications installed on SAFE

All this time I was thinking of installing applications on the physical drive of a computer. These applications would then access their data on the SAFE network.

The original breakthrough in computing by Von Neumann was to consider software also just as data (in stead of physical programs hardcoded, or external to the computer). This allowed the general purpose computer. There is no reason why we would not repeat this logic on SAFE.

What if we just have a single SAFE “embedded operating system” that

• runs routing and a single MAID login/logout architecture
  • maps the virtual drive (as already provided by SAFE), where you can install any application you want - it’s your drive.
  • manages/restricts access of different application to their PMID space, so they cannot snoop into other areas of your personal data without your approval.

Applications would just run as normal applications inside the native OS, but could always be updated and would be architecture specific (ie run the Mac binary when accessed on a Mac, run the windows exe when accessed on a windows machine, etc).

Of course you are free to install any app in your drive. But applications that fully live on SAFE could be linked to an applicationID, that can be rated/reported for trustworthiness.

1 Like

I know this feels like the twin of HTML5 applications on the ‘client-server’ internet. There are many security concerns, but compared to installing an application from a third party website, and then running it, it seems hosting applications on SAFE has many security and ease-of-use advantages.

Yes one advantage I like is that any app installed on a drive like this is immutable. So many attacks via viruses etc. are thwarted, as well as corruption issues being a thing of the past (immutable data can corrupt but the network identifies fixes this easily).

1 Like

I have mentioned to many people, a community run/validated app store, where you have access to every free app and later paid apps to. This is different from traditional stores though as all apps are already installed (no distribution and installer issues, also stops phishing type attacks with bad binaries),

2 Likes