App "Builders" don't get paid once their App gets "cached?"

Also apps will generate payments as users GET data with them. So not only when downloading the app.

7 Likes

Good point. Expanding on that, a dev can perhaps start off a basic version (1.0) of their app, and only receive the network rewards (+data GETs, as per @dirvine below), to test the idea. While it wouldn’t test whether people would pay for it, it would test how much people liked it, indicating whether selling it would be a viable option.

I didn’t know about this. So a portion of the GETs the app makes is paid out to the dev. Is this as per the same 10% formula as with downloading?

Yes it is. …

1 Like

Ok, that makes a difference, too.

And don’t get me wrong. I’m on board as a farmer and dev (as long as I can afford to live reasonably well). I’m very excited about the network, as I believe it’s essential that internet technology becomes secure and private. My only concern on this topic is whether there will be sufficient motivation for devs to ensure SAFE is a success, and hopefully one day, becomes the default internet (and more).

2 Likes

Won’t this incentivize app builders to make programs that generate lots of GETS just for profit?

3 Likes

Hey Will,

Something in the way you phrased the question makes me want to confirm that it’s not the GETs OF the app, but the GETs BY the app that are rewarded. The apps run are downloaded like anything else, but then run in the Client and access the network. It is the GETs executed using the app that the app gets rewarded for.

You probably know this, but the way your initial question was phrased makes this seem possibly relevant.

2 Likes

Didn’t know that at all! Thanks a bunch for clearing that up for me! Makes much more sense now.

So it’s like, the app itself is what’s getting cached, just so it can run faster, but that doesn’t affect (lower) the rewards it’s earning while everyone is using it for various things on the network.

Thx again that was a key point I was missing here

No, that’s not it either. The User, through the Client, RUNS the app on the Client-side. The Client accesses file chunks through the app. The app then gets paid as part of the farming process. Basically the App Builder gets one shot at a safecoin for every seven a farmer does.

So a popular app will be being used to make GETs of all different types, from all over the network.

Your question about caching is not particularly related to any particular app, popular or not. It has more to do with popular files. See “opportunistic caching” in the SAFE Network Glossary. https://safenetwork.wiki/en/Glossary

2 Likes

Ok this makes sense. Kinda just like the app is just a lens that is used to view files on the network.

I’ll check out that link

EDIT: just checked it out. Looks like it would make a cool infograpgic / gif. But thx it helped :smiley:

2 Likes

My understanding is that both are rewarded, not just one of these.

By “OF the app” I mean downloading the app itself, as a data package.

1 Like

Unfortunately one Gets by the app, otherwise apps would need to register their chunk names etc. However, Pay the Producer does introduce paying the up loader of content (so app builders included)

The current thinking though is PtP is good but may have issues. Again though delaying the implementation (very simple) of PtP for 12-18 months may allow all older data to be uploaded without payment. Then it’s much more likely clean data is being uploaded and via web sites and artist sites especially people can know the actual artist and get their art from their (art includes apps I see, maybe all digital info == art, in any case the network will think it is).

1 Like

…please don’t do this…

Soon we will debate it even more. The code is simple for sure but the community seemed violently opposed to it. I believe incorrectly, but certainly there was enough push back to make me for sure ask again. I am time limited to debate too much right now but in a couple of weeks I think we can really drill down into this one. I very much like it and spoke to artists who have paid a fortune to remove themselves form the old net as they were not rewarded and they loved PtP which shows some interest.

We will get to the bottom of all the issues I am sure, well past mere pontification and feelings if we can. To me paying directly for art / creation of important stuff is something we must push for as a society, even if initially wobbly and improving over time. We can make that happen I think and I feel sure the autonomous nature of SAFE is a critical and required component of that.

5 Likes

Sorry! Don’t mean to pontificate :slight_smile:

Just want to upload my mashup music and get some $$$ but I’m sure you guys will make the right decision

1 Like

A small (non-representative?) but very vocal few. A period of grace may be prudent and appease some but either the SAFE network pays, or else a fork will ultimately do this and be more useful to the end user (as it will have more ‘content’). 12-18 months seems in the right ballpark but possibly on the long side for my liberal non-copyright caring philosophies, 3-6 months seems plenty :slight_smile:

5 Likes

2 months max :slight_smile:

But the team is looking at much more data than I and speaking to many more people so I trust their decision over my opinion.

Honestly tho if a fork comes out that I can make money in with my mashups instead, i’ll probably use it until the MaidSafe version comes out with it too

But that’s my 2¢ I’ll be quiet now…

1 Like

I agree with you on the benefits of PtP (App Builders and Content Creators). The amount of mass adoption appeal is enormous!

My main concern is about payout sustainability. Safecoin is deflationary (limited supply) which makes it hard to payout infinitely… if the recycling doesn’t replenish fast enough.

I’m posting this part for the future debate in favor of PtP.

One possible solution is to use an inflationary alternative currency, allowing the SAFE Network pay out forever.

Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting we make Safecoin inflationary. I’m suggesting we try using SAFE GB to reward PtP (App Builders and Content Creators).

Why SAFE GB?

• The SAFE Network has infinite generation potential, enhanced by deduplication.
  • It encourages more PUT activity, which in turn attracts more farmers.
  • Code development would need to tweak the PUT balance, but doable.
  • It’s consumable which slows the inflation rate.
  • It’s better suited to deal with infinite GET demand.
2 Likes

Unless reverse-exponentials (called “asymtopes”, right?) are used, like they are in many other parts of the network