Anyone developing a hardware "router" to enable a P2P internet?

In-stead, we propose a novel indoor wireless mesh design paradigm,based on Low Frequency, using the newly freed white spacespreviously used as analogue TV bands, and Low Power – 100times less power than currently used.

from the white paper

here’s more:

most recently:

1 Like

@dallyshalla

Where/how might we set up a call so I can get a clearer picture of what you want to do?

Thanx Fergish, not sure if we’ll be sticking around on that Startjoin site tho, it gets very little traffic or promotion, even from Max Keiser himself.

When the ePlug crowdfunding starts (~Feb 1st) it will probably have to be on a bigger site.

Details and updates tho will always be posted on twitter (kenCode_de), g+ (kenCode) and the landing page: http://kenCode.de/projects

Thanx again,
-ken

3 Likes

Ken, what are your plans like for dealing with firmware? Would you be interested in joining our ROM repository? It will be hosted through Freenet until maidsafe comes online, and maybe longer, for redundancy purposes. Your plug sounds highly complimentary to our router. Will it be open source hardware and software? If so, I would like to help in any way possible.

please dont hesitate to drop me a line at faddat@gmail.com

Thanks!

2 Likes

@faddat Hi Jacob and thanx for the offer, I’ll definitely take you up on that. Assuming I understand your question: The ePlugs have got to work seamlessly with Maidsafe, so your rom repo is a big YES. FYI- We’re just running debian right now, but am hoping to get something a bit more compact running on the mass-production version (to be funded with lighthouse and traditional crowdfunding as well). I like arch arm and puppy linux, but have been seriously considering a distributed linux distro (ie: xtreemos). Maidsafe and Storj will definitely be offerings so after helmut gets our mass-production prototype done (one that actually fits inside the freakin wall) then we can start playing around with that.
Helmut (and Marc (another one of our EE’s)) will be the guys I’ll connect you with once the final hardware has been decided on.

Whenever we update something, or do a press release, I post it on twitter (kenCode_de), g+ (kenCode) and of course on the press page of our website. hw and sw both are open src too, check out the whitepaper if you get a chance. Thank you so much Jacob! :slight_smile: -ken

2 Likes

What are the possibilities for the SAFE network to met out payments to ISPs that offer direct connections to the SAFE network? In other words, paying the people who set up their own hardware for routing, or existing ISPs that end up supporting MaidSafe. This would somehow be a separate “pool” of safecoins that would be distributed to these ISPs/routers based on the amount of traffic they serve, their speed/bandwidth, etc.

Would that be possible to implement in SAFE, and if so, how would something like that work?

Yes the router is being created.

@eblanshey

I think that things like this are up to user discretion-- the owner of the hardware would choose who gets the benefits of its transmissions and computations. A second implication is that I think the functionality you’re describing is already in the code :).

Would be nice to hear from a core dev about how this can/would work. @dirvine I’d really appreciate some information on how ISPs would be able to earn from users connecting directly to them. Would it be possible to rank the ISPs/hardware routers based on their connection speed, the amount of traffic they serve, etc, and pay them based on that rank? @faddat claims it’s already a part of the network, but I don’t see anything about this in the system docs. They only have the following as ways to earn:

To earn safecoins users can do the following:
Donating spare computer resources to the network
Creating network applications
Contributing to the underlying SAFE Network codebase.

If you don’t want to elaborate here, a link to where I can read about this in more detail would be great, as I’m very interested in it.

Thanks.

I think that the uses that you describe are covered under “Donating spare computer resources to the network” and “creating network applications.” I am not certain and you’re right to ask the core devs :).

I could be wrong, but according to the SafeCoin whitepaper I’m pretty sure “Donating spare computer resources to the network” refers to GET requests for chunk retrieval, so that’s an entirely different function. And creating network applications is just app developers, the “builders”.

1 Like

Ken, I just had a look at xtreemos and contrail, but it seemed like they’re no longer up and running-- is that not the case? Further, I liked it! Is there something equivalent but more current?

2 Likes

Not that I can find, no. The src is avail tho, but I’ve been mulling over another idea… Using Factom we could possibly create our own version of decentralized distributed Linux for the ePlug. Call it say, Factom Linux. It could be a totally secure version of Linux that uses a blockchain for file distribution so the end user never has to worry about getting updates and it basically could make the underlying ePlug operating system unhackable, just like Factom apps. Maidsafe could be a bad ass value-add on top of its distributed operating system. I’m no Linux coder, so would have to fiind a Linux guru to see what it would take to develop a blockchain based OS like this. Think of how secure Maidsafe could become then, if the freakin os was decentralized too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ken, my synapses have been heading down similar lines. Mammoth + ePlug = family members in a platform of liberated technology devices? We probably ought do some telephoning, I think :).

2 Likes

I’m always on skype (kenCode_de) and g+ (kenCode) if you want to chat; I’m on CET time (Munich/berlin).
Give me a couple days though before you ring me, we’re swamped with the ePlug crowdfunding first half of this week.
Thanx Jacob :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They appear to be just a broadcast system, with curated data coming down from the satellite, to passive end-users. So it isn’t a replacement for the Internet, as they claim, because the Internet is interactive, two-way. Also, in their videos they mention that they are funded by the World Bank! That’s as oligarchic as it gets. They are the usurers who get countries into perpetual debt in order to loot their natural resources, state enterprises and other assets.

I did not read everything in this thread so don’t shoot me if i’m not correct :stuck_out_tongue: But what
you are looking for already exists. Looks at what freifunk has done with
batman-adv. This can be setup easily in any neighborhood. (I’m planning to do
so)

Another interesting project is cjdns. Where they already have a big network set up
called hyperboria.

1 Like

Check out the Netsukuku Project http://netsukuku.freaknet.org/ been around since 2005 and has code available.

2 Likes

Id recommend looking at https://librerouter.org/ → developed in a joint venture between Guifi, AlterMundi and a bunch of others (Who are actually running large scale P2P Mesh networks TODAY, helping rural areas in particular getting connected, not just theorizing about it).

2 Likes