Announcing the BambooGarden Fund

Great!!! So happy to see this donation.

14 Likes

I am not sure what this means.

2 Likes

We are in the process of formalising and documenting the algorithms that make us Safe. This is the very reason for that, plus proving those algorithms formally.

12 Likes

They are an opportunity to ask questions and get feedback in a live setting, kind of like an AMA but more technical.

https://www.algorand.com/resources/blog/developer-office-hours-algorand-asa

Algorand seems to host one once a month.

16 Likes

1101 ETH!

Unbelievable Jeff!!

What an amazing idea, and thank you for those that have donated.

17 Likes

I want to thank the person who donated. You are a real hero! Thank you! :thankyou:

22 Likes

Yes, I agree with @Dimitar. This is true generosity. A million dollars is a lot of money.
We need to be sure to spend it wisely. :racehorse:

:thankyou:

11 Likes

This seems to have exciting prospects. Especially with the wonderful donation to start it off.

As @Dimitar said wise spending is a must.

5 Likes

Looks like mini presentations. Do they also do AMA and mix it up?

8 Likes

They do. The AMA for this session starts ~35 min in:

4 Likes

Imperative that the process is well thought out before a dime is spent.

I loosely follow another project where several funds to facilitate adoption and app development has been poorly executed and the winners were mostly the developers.
Here the network needs to be the clear winner.

The fact that the funding is in ETH is going to be a huge win here in my opinion.
Come July/August this 1.8 million will be significantly more.

12 Likes

Have you considered asking NLnet to manage the fund? They specialize in internet technology and have an excellent track record of selecting impactful and viable projects.

Radically Open Security is a “Non-Profit Computer Security Consultancy” that donates its profits to NLnet. That’s really all I know about them, but they seem like a good fit.

2 Likes

Yes and this is the rule not the exception. Spending other people’s money wisely is always extremely difficult.

Yes and I am already getting a bad feeling that this money will be spent so quickly that it will be all gone before we get the best benefits of appreciation.

I am less pessimistic. I think Maidsafe is very frugal.
But people will always try to game the system, those checks need to be as tight as possible and I am confident in this community/Maidsafe getting it right.

9 Likes

Amazing to see this fund get started and the reception of it. I have zero doubt the money will be spent wisely so long as we keep in mind that it should benefit the network and its adoption.

for sure there will be some projects funded that prove less useful in retrospect than others, maybe even some failures or dead ends. but many successful ones too! and isn’t that the way it always goes when you do some real work?

In my mind the biggest mistake would be to just keep sitting on the money and not spend it at all.
Lets not be afraid here, great things will be done :wink:

52 Likes

I hear the concerns, but Maidsafe have had to do a lot, with relatively little, for much of their existence. I doubt they will treat this money any differently and I’m sure the community will do what is best too.

13 Likes

I would love to help out in any way I can, with or without pay. I think my strongest quality is my knowledge of languages and understanding of multilingualism. Do drop me a line, @StephenC, if you think I could be useful on the committee or anywhere else. The ethics of Maidsafe are very close to my heart.

17 Likes

Tremendous news, a shot in the arm for a lot people (myself included!)

This is something I’ve been interested in as well, and we mentioned it over on the dev forum a bit ago.
Maybe not necessarily related to the fund, but perhaps even something simple like a community wiki for dev knowledge. Not even stuff related to the codebase in particular (which could go in the actual code docs), though it could include higher level descriptions. But also just for info on all of the tertiary things from common how-to (e.g. make a new cli command, proposing new msg types, etc.) or setting up your build environment, to centralized algorithm info once features like BRB and CRDTs are stabilized, etc.

Office hours not a bad idea, or even just a dedicated channel for questions (office hours might be rough schedule-wise for already time-pressed devs perhaps, but that’s not for me to decide).

In any case, if there’s not already some sort of wiki-esque thing out there, I’d be interested in helping to establish/contributing to one personally.

20 Likes

Perfect thing to have would be some kind of knowledbase hierarchy, so the beginers are not owerwhelmed with hardcore technical talk and developers dot have to answer stupid questions over and over.

This goes with scaleability, but also with laguage bariers. Advanced users are usually ok with english, but BFUs need things in their own languages. For example I dont know Safenework enough to be able to help anybody on the core level, but with a simple how-to I can make it more detailed guide (+ translation to czech languge).

5 Likes

The ETH balance is 1101 ± 2 million dollars.

Is the additional 100 ETH from a different person?

7 Likes