Although a few people are concerned about their privacy/security online this isn't a widespread feeling

What I am saying is that for Maidsafe to be adopted by the masses it needs the masses to be concerned enough about their privacy to want to take action…until they are maidsafe wont be adopted and safecoin will not go up.

Of course the majority of people on here are concerned about their privacy but the number of people using this forumn is incredibly small so in a way our views count for very little.

Businesses and corporations care about security. If you can save a buck on rock solid security why wouldn’t you? It might be a fast or very slow adoption but it will happen.

3 Likes

All against Usury rather, I think. Insofar as Sharia law being “maligned” - I’d say rightly so - it is malignant :smile:…as are any other legal systems based on Religious teachings…inserting an imaginary “Higher Power” whose wishes can only be interpreted by the Priests/Imams.
Edit:
Let’s cut to the chase @Natalie_Bertoncello ……you are merely stating the obvious; people won’t use new tech until they recognise the benefit of doing so. This could be applied to anything……I wonder what the “stats” were about how many people saw the benefit of the telephone, computer or Internet, prior to their mass adoption?

2 Likes

So me and thousands of others who believed and invested does not exist?Safenetwork has not yet released.Let’s talk, when the network be implemented.If the people don’t care about their safety, why so popular Telegram?In October 2013, Telegram had 100,000 daily active users.On 24 March 2014, Telegram announced that it has reached 35 million monthly users and 15 million daily active usersIn October 2014, South Korean governmental surveillance plans drove many of its citizens to switch to Telegram.In December 2014, Telegram announced they had 50 million active users, generating 1 billion daily messages and that they had 1 million new users signing up on their service every week;traffic doubled in five months with 2 billion daily messages. In September 2015, an announcement stated the app had 60 million active users and delivered 12 billion daily messages.Summing it up,if you hate the maidsafe,why are you here?
What is your goal?

2 Likes

Privacy and security is an issue that concerns the masses. In a recent survey of 28,000 EU citizens, 67% of respondents are concerned about not having complete control over their own data while half of all respondents cited ‘becoming a victim of fraud’ as the most serious risk affecting their personal information.

This is also an issue that effects companies. A research report by the Ponemon Institute suggests that the average consolidated total cost to companies of a data breach was $3.8 million in 2015, with the average cost incurred for each lost or stolen record containing sensitive and confidential information around $154. With the costs (both financial and reputation) there are few companies that could afford to overlook the security of their data.

As for why more people haven’t bought coins, I would suggest that proof points are extremely important with new technology and as the network roll out continues and companies and early adopters start to use the network we will see this change.

13 Likes

Is your concern about the price of safecoin? That seems immaterial to whether SAFE network is successful. I don’t think SAFE network needs to become universal to be very useful.

For people who don’t care about privacy, they can continue doing so until that lack of care hurts them, but I think the care about privacy today is more than it has been in the past and will continue to increase. It’s like door locks, some places people might not care about locking their doors. But after a few things are stolen, they will. I don’t think we’ve seen the last data breach or the last government violation of privacy.

I think it may be that certain segments of society wish to project the idea that privacy doesn’t matter, mainly those segments that are profiting off violating it. You may be receiving and swallowing some of this propaganda as well, possibly. We need to separate the power projection from the reality and also realize that manipulated people may one day wake up and have a reversal of opinion when they realize their best interests were not being cared for.

5 Likes

Moderators, why isn’t present ignore button? =) This is stupid trolling:
https: //safenetforum.org/users/natalie_bertoncello/activity

3 Likes

A lot of people do not realise that MaidSafe can eventually provide alternatives to things like Facebook, Gmail etc, whilst also retaining their privacy and not sharing their data to third parties. People are becoming more aware and concerned about these issues in great part due to Wikileaks and the Snowden revelations of mass surveilance leaks. Before this a lot of people were unaware of how deeply they were being monitored. Some were in the know for a very long time and indeed in some countries there was always a greater concern for privacy (Germany springs to mind).

The UK started to release peoples private medical records to third parties a year or two ago and required people to sign that they did not want their details shared in order for them to be kept secret. A lot of people were unaware that this was even happening and thus their details were shared.

Still, you seem concerned about the number of investors in this project. At the end of the day people are the main contributing factor in this project rather than investors. Investors have already invested enough to make this project a reality, which is all that was really required in order for it to begin. Now there is no stopping it, and you can be sure that it will gain traction. All of the people I know would boycott Facebook, Gmail, Google, Amazon etc given viable SAFE alternatives and they are not even necessarily tech savvy, simply concerned about the direction the world is walking in. :smile:

5 Likes

I’ve said heaps of times that i am a fan of what maidsafe is doing so saying that i am a maid safe hater isn’t correct…i thought this was a forumn which invited open discussion s about anything related to maid safe but obviously it’s nothing more than a fan site…so in view of that adios amigos and good luck x

I think this kind of sums it up. It’s not that most people aren’t concerned with privacy. In fact A LOT of people are concerned with privacy on several levels The problem is how do you express yourself and connect with others while at the same time maintaining your privacy? Also there’s mass ignorance about the dangers of various social media outlets AND practically every major way people communicate with one another uses these methods. My local community economy relies heavily on facebook. So if I want to buy or sell sell anything from people locally or connect with the community then I need to keep Facebook. Then there’s things like family, or activism. Then there’s Youtube for example. Yes there are other video outlets but they are scarcely used. Everyone uses Youtube, ergo everyone uses Google. Even the maidsafe community here uses Google. I find it rather ironic that SAFEPress is being created using Google groups when SAFEPress is supposed to be used to promote privacy and security. But all this just goes to illistrate my point. If we all were to give up Facebook, Twitter, Google, where would it leave us? Disconnected and without the essential web apps we’ve come to rely on to get things done. So it’s less that people aren’t concerned about privacy but it’s how do you maintain privacy while connecting and getting things done. People don’t want to be hermits in order to be private.

In order to make change happen you need to make the old system obsolete.

6 Likes

Yeah see I dont really agree with that because for every one of those figures and bits of data you quoted I could quote the exact opposite.

For example: 71% of 2,100 US respondents above the age of 18 to a Harris survey published on Business Wire in 2014 said they where concerned about people accessing their bank and financial data. 27% of those same respondents also stated that they were concerned about photos referencing them online. LINK HERE.

68% of 792 Internet users surveyed by Pew say they believe it is very important that only they or those they authorise have access to their email content. LINK HERE.

I could go on and on like this.

Like @happybeing said. In certain places and specific groups of people are very interested in and about privacy.

He gave a great example about Germany. My wife is German and I can tell you that almost none of her friends post pictures of their children online and when they do they will blank out or PS the images.

You seem to be quite negative in your thinking around SAFE from what I can tell, so the question is if you don’t like the idea then why are you here?

1 Like

Price speculation through a “what if questions?”…
I think if the safe network get’s million active users all farming or spending on the network, it will be successful beginning.

There are a 100 hundred different reasons why people want to use safe network, and privacy is just one small factor.

A good eCommerce platform with no fee’s will get millions of people.

I think the better question is how can the safe network apply smart contracts on the network for trust-less purchasing.

Why not do a list of what is positive about the safe network and the negatives and see what we come up with…

5 Likes

I’m surprised no one else has said it, but I don’t think this statement is necessarily accurate.

Privacy and security are at the heart of how and why this technology is being developed, and so those who are passionate about it are, of course, the ones to get involved at such an early stage. And it IS and early stage. Fan site? Sure.

But the point is, that freedom is popular. People do the stupid stuff they do with facebook, google, etc., because they are free to make connections and do neat stuff. Privacy and security tend to take a back seat to freedom. But people do care about privacy and security, even if not so much.

My point is that people don’t have to have privacy as their first concern to get involved with the SAFE Network when it is up and running. It’ll be liberating in a number of ways. It will allow people to exercise freedom in many ways they hadn’t thought of, WITH privacy.

It will allow them to run software on their spare computer resources and make, at least, spare change.

Those who frequent this site are those who see the bigger vision that is possible. Is it a certainty? No.

Do we know how it’s actually going to play out in detail? Of course not.

Are those here more concerned about privacy and security than the majority of the population? Absolutely.

Will everyone who finds the network attractive, after it is up and actually working, have privacy as a high motivation above functionality? Not everyone, I think, but a lot. (Look at the millions of users of Tor.)

Will use and improved functionality combined with lack of mass snooping, lack of identity theft, cutting out the excess middle men in general, lack of censorship, the unkillability of the network once it gets running, etc., etc., start to snowball into a rush to privacy, security AND freedom that the network is hoped to provide? Most here think it likely, I think. I certainly see that potential myself and that’s why I’m involved.

So, no, privacy doesn’t have to drive mass adoption of itself. That’s part of the problem with the privacy solutions available today: They come at too high a price in terms of the freedom to act, and people think justifiably that it’s not effective to try. I’m enthusiastic because not only do I value privacy and security, as well as freedom, but I want all three as the default for everyone who wishes to take them.

If the technology functions to a decent percentage of what is planned, there are more than enough to make it happen, I’m sure. Snowballs start slowly and later get big and fast.

Welcome to the small snowball at the edge of a steep slope.

See you at the bottom.

8 Likes

I thought it was 326%

86.765% of “percentages” on the internet are BS.
My BS is more accurate than yours.

2 Likes

Without regard for the security/privacy, if Safecoin delivers an anonymous, predictably inflationary, global, currency, there will be no problem with adoption.

3 Likes

Privacy for private citizens isn´t the only selling argument for the Safe network. Companies and governments will benefit from a network that is difficult to break or leak from.

This will hopefully not be possible with the Safe network in operation:
Entire US voter registration record leaks (191 million)

5 Likes

Let me clarify some misconceptions.

1. Desire for celebritization does not mean one doesn’t want privacy. If anything they need strong privacy for tight PR management.

2. Socializing via the internet doesn’t equate to people wanting their info on the market. People don’t want their information floating about without their explicit consent. With greater awareness of this tragedy, more would voice their opinion on the matter. Right now, most people don’t understand the implications. Their current indoctrination prevents them from envisioning a world where they have complete control of their data. These statistics are flawed in that the participants of the analysis aren’t given the complete picture prior to their submissions. Also, consider that it’s fairly difficult to find a Facebook account that isn’t set to “private - friends only”. That alone gives you some idea of the general desire for privacy.

3. SAFE and other anonymous platforms fill a large gap in our social infrastructure. These tools allow for free expression without the fear of persecution. Enabling greater diversity and new previously hindered perspectives on life. This has many far reaching benefits.

Nat, your questions are perfectly valid and your statements about statistics are understandably warped. Tis the result of gathering biased data. Not entirely your fault.:wink: <= damn emoji’s!!

1 Like

EDIT: Beaten by @Tonda, who has said it better. Meant to be a reply to the OP, not Aster, I hit the wrong link :frowning:

And I find not all facebook users lack concern for their privacy. Even Facebook pretends to improve their privacy because of the concerns. How many facebook accounts have completely fake information because the person needs it to see some project’s FB page.

I have found that a certain number of people desire privacy & security, but in order to function in their circle of friends, they have given up some of that privacy. Given the opportunity they would jump at he chance to have their privacy and function in the circle of their friends.

So I see the statistics as disjoint. Just because 54% want to be a ‘celebrity’ does not mean 54% are not concerned about their privacy. Just because 83% of adults have a social media account, does not mean 83% give real info, or 83% are disinterested in privacy.

4 Likes