List of Websites/Safesites & WebIDs (Community Resources)

I don’t have time myself atm, but maybe somebody can split the lists into two showing min/max SAFE Browser / Peruse version for each list. The change comes in with Peruse v0.6 I think, not sure about SAFE Browser.

1 Like

What is the best way to handle this?

For the moment I see 3 types of sites:

1. static sites: they work everywhere.
  2. sites that only work on Peruse v0.6
  3. sites that only don’t work on Peruse v0.6

And what about future Browsers like Peruse v0.7?

A distinction could be made with different lists, but also with an extra ‘column’.

2 Likes

@digipl, can you please ensure you’re using the latest web hosting manager released as part of the webId proof of concept.

If that’s the case, can you then check you don’t have your NODE_ENV variable set when using the WHM.

2 Likes

Thanks Josuef, with this WHM version all works OK.

6 Likes

One simple list.

Purge legacy?.. I don’t understand why those are being retained. Expecting the latest browser and removing or noting those that fail on a browser upgrade - for then those to be fixed and un-noted as normal list item. So, I’d expect one to-do item above…

3 Likes

What’s the recommended way to create public names, upload - presumably not with the WHM PoC as that is creating structures that is not compatible with other apps which are doing this directly, and is quite likely to change?

Can you give us a list of SAFE Browser + Peruse versions that are compatible with each other, and the corresponding WHM versions, including links to the downloads? Also, what is different between them? I’m now quite confused as to what to use to create stuff on alpha2:

1. for things I uploaded previously. Should that all still work with SB 0.10.2 and if so which WHM to use?

2. for the latest stuff I’m working on now with Peruse >= 0.6, which WHM should I use?

Thanks

BTW, I suggest this could be turned into a useful resource here:

2 Likes

Just wanted to give some quick info (as @joshuef might not reply in the weekend).

From the POC applications for identity management and RDF data topic:

The main incompatibility lies between the POC apps and the previous range of versions of SAFE apps. Not sure about the exact incompatibility issues though.

Peruse v0.6 introduced the NodeJS based DOM API, so apps made for that will not be compatible with any SAFE Browser (and vice versa). The latest version of the SAFE Browser still contains the Beaker plugin API.

Basically it’s this: the ‘older’ stuff is the SAFE Browser and the apps from Releases · maidsafe-archive/safe_examples · GitHub. The ‘newer’ stuff is the POC applications and ‘webID Peruse’. (Release WebId Browser POC · joshuef/peruse · GitHub)

Looking into the future: I assume MaidSafe will not focus on the older applications anymore, except for some bug fixes perhaps. I just noticed MaidSafe moved the Web Hosting Manager into a separate repo recently, so everything might become more structured soon.

5 Likes

Thanks @bzee, I was aware of this but want something official because we aren’t privy to Maidsafe’s plans. I would have assumed we should be using Peruse 0.6+ and whatever the compatible WHM is for new stuff and updating old apps to that new API so they to can use those, but @joshuef was just suggesting digipl should use the WebID PoC WHM so I’m unsure. If I understand it, that will produce public names in a different format than any old app including the older WHM. I may be wrong though as I’ve not looked at the PoC code. So best if Maidsafe clarify I think.

In the mean time I will probably use the older apps to create public names and upload, but build my code for then new API.

3 Likes

That’s what I did (WHM 0.4.3). Ported by using web API playground 3.0.. Here are the diffs.

2 Likes

Why did you have to build yourself? You can use one of the old builds of WHM to create public id and upload an app built for old or new API. The only thing that won’t work with that is the WebID PoC because it needs to use a different structure for public names.

I did indeed not build the WHM.
But I did build the web API playground 3.0 to be able to test/get familiar with (in mock mode) the web API changes, introduced in Peruse v0.6. So that I could port safe://todo, not WHM.

1 Like

We’ve been talking about all this in the last few days as we noticed it was becoming confusing, and we are already preparing the new release of WHM v0.5.0 and Peruse v0.7.0 (they are in QA/release stage already), they both will be the suggested versions.

In the meantime, the suggested versions should be:

Beaker browser v0.10.2 should be discouraged for new development of apps.

6 Likes

Thanks Gabriel, you don’t say it so I think it needs clarifying: WebID PoC WHM for WebID PoC Peruse, but doing so will create public names that are not compatible with the other WHM, or with apps which create their own public names. So best to use different accounts for one or the other.

Correct?

Not exactly like that. The WebID PoC WHM doesn’t create public names or web sites with new format (RDF), it just deals with it to ignore those type of entries (RDF entries) in the MDs. Thus you should see any new public names you create with it using previous version of WHM.

As per other apps that read the public names, they need to handle/ignore the RDF entries (like the WebID PoC WHM does) otherwise it’s likely they won’t work, e.g. the email app was not yet adapted to support this, and I guess some app/s created by the community fall into this group as well.

3 Likes

Thanks, I now know what i need to do. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Will or can the WebID replace the Email ID?

2 Likes

I think it can, I personally think it should, and I personally hope it will :slight_smile:
The way I see it as ideal is that everything is linked form the webid (or “safeid” :slight_smile: we should have our own name for it), you share a webid with your contacts, and that’s what they use to discover everything about you, inbox, coin wallet addresses, blog urls, websites you reference, friends, etc. You can update that at your will, they never realise or need to know when you do it, apps automatically discover it when fetching your webid. Plus, you can have several webids, one for your business, another for sharing with friends you make, maybe another for only close friends and family/relatives, perhaps anonymous webids you use for trolling :smiley: …etc.

Once I gave you a webid, I can then simply ask you to send a payment to me, check my blog, or to send me an email or Patter message, without needing to give you any more info, you already have my webid in your contacts list, that’s it.

7 Likes

I’ll change in the OP my (lonely) Email ID with a WebID (SafeID) then :smile:

5 Likes

I’m getting this when opening the Peruse WebId PoC

Ubuntu 18.04

@mods feel free to move this if there is a better place for it

2 Likes

I think here is fine. Further questions are maybe better asked in the following topic: Creating your WebID on the SAFE Network (Alpha-2)
Added your and my SafeID in the OP.

2 Likes