AKASHA a next-generation social media network

1 Like

I believe that this will not work for any one of the many reasons put forth in this well thought-out article.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2009/09/free-speech-in-online-communities-the-delusion-of-entitlement/

2 Likes

I thought I heard somewhere that with Ethereum you have to download the blockchain to your computer to use it…wouldnt this become MASSIVE if there is a social network running on it…or is it like bitcoin where you can interact without needing the blockchain locally??

2 Likes

Wow that’s a long post, no wonder he is a full time blogger.

But he made good points. Anyone who’s complained about moderation on this forum should read this (although I don’t think it’d help them - the delusion of entitlement to certain things on private Web sites is the least serious delusion of the many that they have).

Search for ethereum spv to find out.
Bitcoin also doesn’t have a good SPV solution. I think there are some, but they are theoretically vulnerable (in practice less likely, because it’d costs much more to organize an attack than expected benefit).

Still, I’m not even going to click on the freaking link. I’ve no interest in Ethereum whatsoever.

1 Like

Really good article. Very apt to this forum.

SAFE is going to be an interesting shift that’ll change the dynamics of this in some interesting ways, at least within its ecosystem.

4 Likes

Greg Meridith and Vlad Zamfir are working on a proof of stake model called Casper that employs sharding to address scaling problems. A lot of Ethereum projects are banking on the success of Casper in much the same way Decorum and Safex are banking on a successful safecoin implementation. I wonder if Casper does not meet expectations if there would be some way to fold some of these Ethereum projects into the SafeNetwork, to the extent that the SafeNetwork could provide the space needed to eliminate data bloat.

1 Like

The idea seems quite ludicrous, considering that recovery is done over slow bandwidth links. They’ll have to introduce high penalties to minimize the people going offline, which means it should be quite expensive (as farmers won’t bother without being properly rewarded).
Maybe they can make a “high end offering” out of it, but even that sounds ridiculous - as soon as penalties/insurance/overhead become higher than the cost of Amazon network egress fees, such solution becomes noncompetitive vs other enterprise offerings.

Object storage is the cheapest storage possible and enterprise solutions are extremely price competitive. Believe it or not, a single admin can manage 10-20 PB of storage. The cost is basically the h/w and network.
What cost or “uncertainty” is Ethereum trying to attack here? Smart Contracts my ass.

2 Likes

It’s interesting they use Gandhi as an example; he’s one of the most censored people, though we do it voluntarily, otherwise we’d have to put up with all the stuff about him we wouldn’t like…

3 Likes

OK, so I have this data cache that is kinda sensitive.

It was given to me by an elementary school classmate who joined the military, something with special ops and much hush-hush. We haven’t seen one another in decades. He kinda bumped into me accidentally on the street about a week ago. I think it was accidentally, but now I’m starting to wonder. He was all stressed out and asked if we could talk in private, to which I said sure. At a nearby café he began telling me an incredible story involving a high-ranking national politician (actually he’s been mentioned as a leading candidate for the position as head of a leading international governance organization…) and blackmail against this politician based on some highly incriminating video clips showing him a) taking part in an orgy together with other elite members of society and children between the ages of 8 to 10, and even worse, b) participating in some kind of occult ritual where two toddlers were actually murdered in the most sadistic manner.

I couldn’t believe what I was being told, but he pulled out a laptop, and from a memory stick he played for me two short clips (of a total of 5 or 6), high quality video apparently showing exactly what he had been telling me about. I was completely shocked, and although I’m certainly no expert on authenticating video footage, it certainly did look untampered with to me. There are, however some corroborating facts that lead me to strongly believe that this thing is indeed WYSIWYG.

My former classmate told me that he has been part of a team of special operatives who was tasked with making sure this data cache (all clips comprised together a little under 100MB) was distributed into the public domain in an irreversible way, so that no matter what steps were taken and no matter how much money and political or military (or otherwise) resources would be funneled into containing and burying this material, such efforts would go unsuccessful.

This team, they were eight all-in-all, were highly specialized in this kind of information warfare, so to speak, having performed to full satisfaction on previous occasions a number of similar operations leading to the clamorous downfall of their “target”. They had even dealt with similar material before as well, but on all of those occasions, merely hinting at their possession of the incriminating material had led to the politican, business or civic leader in question withdrawing from their pursued career target, and the material could be returned back into the hands which had delivered it originally.

Now, here’s the sucker punch: The commanding officer of my friend’s team, died in a freak fire one week before the meeting between me and my former schoolmate. This meant that the team were stuck with their memory stick copies with no way of knowing how to roll back the operation in progress. Then every day of the following week one member of the team had been killed in accidents or had disappeared. This had happened while they were all frantically attempting to post the data cache on all sorts of media sharing platforms, even uploading to Wikileaks and a number of torrent sites. Within hours of each upload the material had been removed, and there were even some indications that innocent parties that had come into contact with the video clips had become victims of the ongoing assassination campaign.

I know I should never have done it, but I agreed to keep a copy of my friend’s memory stick while he went into hiding while attempting to get the explosive data off his hands in a way which would make it pointless for his hunters to continue their attempts at taking him down. Since I was of course not going to know his whereabouts we agreed that he would send me an email once a day from one-time email accounts containing a phrase by which I would recognize it was from him. I received these emails for five days, but the last couple of days I have not received any.

Now my hypothetical question is this:

What platform would be best equipped to receive this theoretical data upload so that it would remain accessible to everybody? AKASHA or SAFENet? (Make some allowance for these platforms being somewhat further along in their development than as of today)

I do not believe a word of this.

2 Likes

You are of course right, I made it up. It’s a mock-up scenario, which is why I framed my question in the end hypothetical.

AKASHA has reached the stage of a functional alpha.

:stuck_out_tongue:

The trouble is you need Ethereum to use AKASHA. I’ve tried Ethereum several times and I think it’s very slow. It took quite some time to connect to other peers. And why would people want to load a big blockchain just to use an App like this?? But we’ll see. Maybe I feel the disturbance in the force as well when it’s live ;-).

5 Likes

This is a big problem with blockchain based things: you either compromise security by delegating it to a 3rd party (“thin clients”), or you’re forced to carry around with you an ever-growing data structure, much of which has no relevance to you. Ironically, SAFE can help with this part: provide a robust, redundant, yet not exceedingly wasteful storage for blockchains.

1 Like