About the new "guidelines"

This simply doesn’t give you a reason to respond to me or moderation as you do :slight_smile: We’re not on the SAFE Network here, we’re on a forum about it and it’s not ‘built on its principles’, nobody ever said that. This is a forum about the SAFE Network and not one where you can act like you’re on there.

I can’t wait for SAFE either, seems we’ve got at least one thing in common :smiley:

I know that. That’s why I always propose solutions to make it safer for everyone. I just get frustrated when I feel I’ve never made progress in this area, despite the effort.

1 Like

Us and them, but you, and us while we think,… I think,… but they think… while we think… :smiley:

We are all members of the same community. We all love SAFE and Maidsafe and all the Devs and we all can’t wait for the MVP, BETA and more. It’s all us folks! :thumbsup:

4 Likes

That would be great, but in practice that Idea doesn’t work for all projects / forums / etc. I’m a user on Bitcointalk as well and even in the Maidsafe thread we see spammers, fudders, and more. Some links in this topic were posted to some very open “everybody can be a mod” and “let’s all vote on everything” forums, but a simple 5 minute read shows they have way more guidelines and rules than we do. Here it’s more like, keep it a bit cool and don’t swear or link to adult content. And with only 4 members bannend out of the 2200+ I think we’re doing great. They’re all welcomed back. But look at this, it looks so great as an idea:

Basic rights of members.

1. All members of this community have the right to participate in all aspects of the community. They are allowed to post in all forums, they are allowed to join any open group, they are allowed to become Moderators and Administrators, they are allowed to vote in the Members Forum after 10 posts if they have not been barred (see: Opposing Views, article 1 and 2), they are allowed to use any function that is available to the general membership. This right is not something to be gained or granted - it is the basic right of all members. However, it is a right that can be lost (see: Basic and General Rules).

But scroll down a bit and see what happened:

Emergency Articles
We have seen the community slowly but surely disintegrate over the past weeks. A group of members is systematically abusing their position on the forum to harass both new and old members, sowing discord whenever they can and in the process fostering a hostile, toxic environment. We believe this cannot continue, for if it will, the community will surely perish. In order to save it from this fate, we have gathered together to form a ‘free association of producers’, in accordance with the following articles:

1. Those who are part of the association contribute financially to the maintaining of the community.* Aside from the stipulated in Article 5, they have no additional rights over and above those of non-contributing members, and exist solely for the purposes of 1) Guaranteeing the community’s survival in times of crisis such as the present by means stipulated in Article 5, and 2) Making the ownership of the community diffuse and thereby ensuring its democratic nature by preventing the ability on the part of any member to take unilateral actions.

I left out all the other points so it doesn’t fill up this page. But this is why I want to have a little moderation on a forum. And as we don’t touch over 99.99% of all posts by members I think we indeed just have some little moderation.

1 Like

Is this talking about our forums? Or it’s from the BTCtalk forums?

This one was linked in a topic reply about moderation. www.revforum.com It’s not about our forum :nerd:.

1 Like

Could not agree more @polpolrene. Don’t give up trying @whiteoutmashups and bare with us @Melvin.

We can do this! Because where ever we go there we will be.

4 Likes

@happybeing has stepped down and in his goodbye post said this:

Carry on guys. See you on the other side. Go SAFE Network!

2 Likes

I think that @happybeing his dictator comment was a joke ;-). And David wasn’t pointing to people that come up with ideas for change here in meta IMO. Remember that Happy is around here for a long time. So when you take part in debates and give your opinion it might cause some friction with some people when you mod at the same time. I think you shouldn’t blame yourself for anything. You always make your points in a very nice and friendly way, nothing wrong with that.

5 Likes

I’d second the comment by @polpolrene

1 Like

Thank you again @Safety1st for your openness in sharing. I’m very touched by how you use this forum - not many use it to such a deep and valuable extent, but by sharing it you also invite everyone to see this and follow if they choose, or at least to learn from what you learn.

Now if only we could entice you into moderation :slight_smile:

Seriously, I think you would add something special and valuable. But this is none of my business :wink:

Coming to my “cheeky” (I hoped, remark) of course I didn’t mean to smear or to hurt anyone, although I was aware that it had a bit of an edge. I’m not sure why I allowed it given that, but I did. I knew it might hurt some of those who called those kind of names, and I’m uncomfortable about having done that. I didn’t consider it might be taken on by others.

I apologise to everyone who felt hurt by that. Its not a good way to respond and making it a joke doesn’t justify it. I urge everyone though, if you can, imagine how it feels to have those accusations levelled at you - and perhaps you’ll be able to forgive my small lashing out? The problem with being online is it is so easy to forget we’re all humans - except the bots!!! damn the bots :slight_smile: When we meet in person we can forget it too of course, but online I think we both have to try harder to remember this - but also have the luxury of the time to reflect between replies on how our words might land, and how they can hurt.

I can write these words easily just now simply because my heart and soft underbelly have been opened by all those kind words on my goodbye topic. Its much harder at other times, and I understand it’s different for everyone, so it is also ok to make these errors. We all hurt and we all hurt each other, but we can learn. Good old @Jabba tried to show us one way with his Giraffe ears. Then he and I and others got lost in words again, and so on and so on.

Group hug anyone? Maybe after a night singing around a camp fire somewhere not a million miles from Troon. That would be good… true happy being :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I forgive you @happybeing and hope you can forgive me also.

Love these virtual group hugs you always initiate with your cheeky self . :grin:

2 Likes

Hey, I got no beef with anyone. :smile: I’ve said countless times I think you all do a great job and I take no issue with any of your moderation decisions.

My only issue was with you guys refusing to make the psychological gesture towards shared-ownership and your attitude to the implications that has for the community. I spat the dummy and then you guys ‘rose above it’ - lol.

Anyway it’s fine. As safety1st says, it’s none of our business and we shouldn’t be trying to force our perspective on to you either. You were most concerned with the forum, we were most concerned with the community. We argued about the difference for a while, then realised there was no point in arguing. We’re all going to get what we want very soon, that’s what united us here in the first place. Gooo Safenet and decorum.

S’all good, there’s no grudges or ill-will from where I’m standing.

It’s not like I’d delete this forum, where else will I read updates?! :wink: I’ll always lurk a bit on here. I’ll just keep my political conversations, cursing, joking and community bonding in PM.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes