A vault in my home

No

Having a look at it, they also are only offering up to 100Mbits/sec download. If you are willing to pay for it, as you will with them too, you can get fibre from other companies too, especially if you live in the cities and their inner suburbs. TPG used to do it before NBN as did Telstra and some other mainly business ISPs. TPG bought out the major fibre supplier and are still supplying fibre to businesses and interconnects.

But nice to have symmetrical fibre. Wonder what their international peering is like, hopefully not the bottleneck Optus suffers.

EDIT: From their website for the home connections

So its not fibre to the home as they implied on their front page.

I’m using win10. If I type ipconfig in the terminal I get two ip addresses: one for ‘Ethernet adapter ethernet’, and another for ‘Wireless LAN adapter wi-fi’. I’ve tried both (and tried the gateway ip) but no connection still.

If your internet is over wifi it’s the wireless one, if it’s cable it’s the Ethernet one. What happens when you try to connect? What does the log say? (The logs are in the same folder as safe_vault.exe, named node..log)

After @JPL walkthrough for BT router, here is my small contribution for Orange Livebox in France:

Go to 192.168.1.1. Connect to the admin account. Select “configuration avancée” general tab and then “NAT/PAT” sub-tab. Then enter a new rule for port forwarding:

• Select “nouveau…” in “application/service” drop down menu and then enter any name (for example: SAFE Network)

• Enter 5483 in both “port interne” and “port externe” fields

• Select TCP protocol (it is the default choice)

• Select the name of the PC which will run your vault in “appareil” drop down menu

• Validate by clicking on “enregistrer” button

6 Likes

If I run the safe_vault.exe in the cmd terminal I get this message:

Running safe_vault v0.14.0

E 17-04-08 14:27:00.204058 Failed to Bootstrap: (FailedExternalReachability) Bootstrappee node could not establish connection to us.
I 17-04-08 14:27:00.217088 Bootstrapping(5d8fd0…) Failed to bootstrap. Terminating.

That means it’s not connecting. OK - if you’re not running a VPN or a proxy then your firewall or something else like antivirus software is probably blocking it. This is where it gets a bit tricky.

First thing to try is to edit the configuration file safe_vault.crust.config, changing “force_acceptor_port_in_ext_ep”: false to true.

If teat doesn’t work, the next thing is to try changing the Windows firewall setting - you’ll need admin rights for that - and then try disabling your AV software and anything else that might be blocking it.

Other than that all you can do as far as I know is try connecting a few more times as it doesn’t always work first time, maybe leaving a few hours between attempts.

No need to wait a few hours, wait a few seconds and try again.
I would actually advise, trying 4-5 times before messing with settings.
Keep it simple. Once you start changing settings, you MUST change them back before changing anything else. UNLESS you really know what you are doing. Otherwise its too easy to take an almost working setup and reduce it to a pile of <insert smelly phrase here>

It was the firewall, even though I had granted safe_vault.exe access. After fixing the port forwarding and shutting down the firewall I can finally connect. Now I need to find out how to allow connection for the safevault with the firewall on. Thanks for the help @JPL and others.

3 Likes

A wee demonstration that sometimes you have to try , try and try again to get connected,

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. I will go through all this tonight. I still feel this information should be put out on an official maidsafe page, but i am pretty lenient as i know there are way more important things to work on. I am assuming that in the future this will be seamlessly integrated.

Hi there. I ran the test and only got 2mbps for my upload speed. So at the moment - in Dragon’s Den style - I’m out!

i was recently looking for online servers for Java hosting like Openshift. Does something exist for this new technology like that?

What hardware that you are using ?
I’m considering to deploy my D-Link NAS for the Vault.

I have just arrived. I am looking at the whole goal of sharing what is left of my hard drive.

3 Likes

Welcome, locusbank. As I understand it, the current network Alpha 2 isn’t testing the vault aspect right now as the project has moved forward through test/development phases. Maybe someone can fill in some details, but I think it will be reintroduced at a future data in I’m guessing another test network.

With this network iteration, you can get create an account, open the safe browser, get authenticated and interact with web sites/apps running in safe browser or applications that can interface with safe network like the Web Hosting Manager. Sites and apps you give permission can read and update the data owned by your account on the network, including public data like website content served on safe:// urls. I hope I’m not far off base in my summary.

2 Likes

Yip your summary is great and on the mark, only one small thing is

It is , although we have updated the data types. What alpha II was not testing was sybil resistance and that is why it is a fixed network owned by us. It could be easily taken over otherwise. It is vaults though in terms o fhow they work with data and comms. Just not secure enough for an open network just yet.

4 Likes