A dedicated machine for the Safe Network

If you really want to go hardcore but also do a lot more with your NAS go for a Synology DS920+ or higher: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS920+

You can install several 16TB 7200RP drives (or smaller ones for cheaper price) + some NVMe cache memory but these mid/high-end solutions will probably cost you $1000 or more. You can directly run multiple virtual machine from this NAS meaning a Safe Network node, a full bitcoin core node, a full ethereum node, and on top of that store your own private data. It’s basically your private data vault which can do more than just store data.

Running docker images can be very easily done as I’ve read.

2 Likes

Hello community !!! I keep asking for help … see if someone helps me … Let’s imagine for a moment that you have won the lottery, a pinch that you want to reinvest in a good project. Someone tells you that Maidsafe is about to take out his toy, and you want to collaborate through agriculture. Therefore, you want to get everything you need to be a good farmer … What kind of tools would you buy to collaborate with the network? A pc? A laptop? What CPU? With what storage capacity (we are talking about something really good)? Connection type? Switched on? I would appreciate some help in knowing where to start to build a good team … Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I would wait. Whatever you were to buy now will no doubt be cheaper by the time real farming will start.

3 Likes

Let’s imagine that the time of purchase is not part of the equation … I appreciate your clarification, I will take it into account. But focusing the interest on what is necessary, I would appreciate a detailed description. Thanks once again

1 Like

No one can give you what you want yet.
Wait till we have test farming, then we will be able to see what setups work well and what not so well.
Patience.

In general, fast cpu, fast memory, fast Internet.
I can’t help more than that.
Fast cpu probably not essential as long as it doesn’t bottleneck your system.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply.

No problem, sorry I can’t be more help, but it really is a matter of waiting to see what works and what doesn’t.

1 Like

I’m changing my mind again and from reading again on the storj forum,
I will suggest buying a regular NAS server if you have a place and storage for it.

1-12 TB, no more as storj users have already warned that not all of your storage might be used, due to a lack of customers, although with maidsafe it’s use will be much more broad, so you could gamble and go all in on this.
What seems important is to make sure that your disks are durable as you will not collect from being down and have lots of upload speed in order to attract the most traffic.

What was the status of net neutrality again?

1 Like

I have been watching for some way to get unlimited data to my location so I could be a useful node once this becomes ready for prime-time, especially since I’m already at-cap every month on my Comcast connection. SpaceX Starlink recently announced public pre-orders, which also claims unlimited data. Perfect! Pre-Ordered!

My desired dedicated machine has also been a Raspberry Pi (cluster?) with the largest external spinning hard-drive(s) I can afford if/when I can also afford the data usage charges. Once upon a time when MaidSafe was still a new idea, it was going to be retired old PCs, but with the rise of the Pi those are going into deep-storage or recycling

2 Likes

Ditto, I hope the trees don’t break me here though, but to get all the phone cables gone would be great.

Again ditto. I hope to have a couple in a loft space. I suspect a few hundred Gb will do enough so likely just an SD card (less power). We will see though.

1 Like

that could be a great guide, how to add fast cache on slow hdds!!!

1 Like