A Brief Preview of MaidSafe's Planned Expansion

Thanks. I missed that. Such a significant development deserves more than a reply to a query. Not to take anything away from @happybeing efforts, but bright lights, those were not.

1 Like

Fantastic news. Hong Kong is one of the best places in the world for business. Sales and marketing in Asia also opens things up hugely - is that a word?! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wouldn’t an investor putting $600k become a registered shareholder? Why take the risk of holding such a large stake through BTTF, forego their direct voting rights and have 5% of the dividends retained as service fee? This sounds extremely strange.

Is this company BitcoinCapital, bnktothefuture or other venture strongly connected to Max Keiser or Simon Dixon by any chance?

Shouldn’t such big news deserve more than just a link in the forum? Why keep that so low profile?

2 Likes

I don’t understand high things like business deals and such, but this might be it :kissing_cat:

4 Likes

No connection, this was all being worked on prior to BttF happening.

8 Likes

Yes as @Tim87 pointed out, we want to wait until more details are known and we have more considered plans in place. The forum post was just to provide a heads up.

13 Likes

So you will announce this China deal on BNK in 12 days or less?

I think it’s “hugefully” :smiley:

3 Likes

Good question

My guess is that that’s all they were offered by MaidSafe, and they took it. Not a bad deal

Just because the money arrives through this channel, it doesn’t mean there can be no other contractual agreements. In fact, @nicklambert explicitly mentioned there are some terms that are still being finalised, and gave some details about what are their direction.

3 Likes

I don’t expect to have any more details beyond what was in OP in this thread in that time frame.

I see no reason why you cannot offer that same detail in the OP on the BNK forum now. There is no point in sharing details on the BNK site after 12 days when the fundraise expires.

These are significant claims:

1, Maidsafe has “an investment agreement with a Hong Kong based company”
2. Maidsafe Asia - “The location of MaidSafe Asia will be an excellent launch pad for the Chinese market with its 720 million internet users”. Which has grown by 20 million people in just one.

And to give this context, JUST the number of internet users in China 720M+ (China pop. appriox 1.5 Billion ) is greater than the entire population of USA + CANADA + UK + SCOTLAND combined.

Maybe the reason is not obvious?

2 Likes

I agree this news could help get some potential investors to get aboard. Not sure what MaidSafe agreed on about communicating the news / progress of the negotiations (for lack of a better word).

1 Like

How about this part?
Did the Hong Kong company actually invest through BTTF? I really don’t see any reason this would make any sense for anyone. It wouldn’t make sense for Maidsaife knowing that BTTF charges a fee to companies that raise funds: 5% if I remember well, which would amount to a mind boggling 30k USD of fees for that investor alone. It wouldn’t make sense either for that large investor to forego direct voting power, subject himself to 5% fees on every future dividends and exit, not to mention the additional risk of trusting a third party to hold on one’s assets.

Actually, I even see a reason why this should be discussed on the BTTF forum and not here. Indeed, as Nick has already said several times, BTTF asked Maidsafe to discuss fund-raising related matters only on the BTTF investors forum for the duration of the campaign, supposedly to avoid asymmetry among investors knowledge that could be legally construed as insider trading.

3 Likes

You seem skeptical? Why?
Or do I misunderstand your concerns?

Does it matter why they decided to make this investment through BTTF? Perhaps it was the only way for them to do it. Perhaps it was a requirement from MaidSafe to this company to come to an agreement. Perhaps this company doesn’t care about the voting rights. It’s also possible that BTTF waived their rights to the usual fee for this large investor. They may have realized that it would make the difference between making the minimum funding goal and not. They also offered the mining bonus to early investors as well, so they have a motivation to make this pitch succeed as well.

Insider trading is the trading of a public company’s stock or other securities (such as bonds or stock options) by individuals with access to nonpublic information about the company. In various countries, some kinds of trading based on insider information is illegal. This is because it is seen as unfair to other investors who do not have access to the information, as the investor with insider information could potentially make far larger profits that a typical investor could not make.

I don’t really see how this would be insider trading. This is a public forum and people can read these posts without making an account. It’s not like I could buy the rest of the share in this SPV and then sell it next week for triple my money. These types of investments take years to actually make you money, if ever. This was not some secret investment that BTTF investors didn’t know about, they saw the large increase in the amount invested.

Still agree that it would be good to post this on BTTF if the negotiations (again for lack of a better word) between MaidSafe and the other company allow for this.

2 Likes

Im not skeptical. These are questions anyone would ask. Maybe there is a good reason. Nick is a seasoned marketing guy and leveraging good news is a sharp tool in every marketing guys toolbox. And the pitch needs good news to raise another million bucks.

1 Like

@Krekc

You are making strawmen.

I’m not asking why they (supposedly) invested via BTTF but if they actually invested through BTTF and how this actually makes any sense at all. Your speculation for their motives in the case they actually did doesn’t answer my question at all. That’s a question only Nick or David can answer.

And I’m not making a point about insider trading, I just mentioned it as a “possible” reason for BTTF to insist that fundraising related discussion should be had on the BTTF investor forum. I really don’t care why they asked that. The point is that they did ask for that, and this was relayed several times by Nick so I’m a little bit uneasy (and rightly so) when he suddenly turns around and decide to have an investment related discussion only on here.

Let’s hear the answers. I don’t think I’m asking anything unreasonable.

I’ve pasted in the OP to the BF forum. I guess I was thinking the link would be enough, but sometimes a belt and braces approach is better!

4 Likes

You seemed to ask for both by going in to the reasons why you think they would not have done that. So I simply gave you some examples for why they actually could have invested through BTTF. I understand you would like to get a reply to this from either Nick or David, but since you are posting in a public thread you can expect responses from other users. If you don’t want that it’s best to send a direct message to the person that you want to get a response from.

And I wasn’t saying that you were making a point, again I was just responding to your post by stating that I thought this wouldn’t be considered insider trading.

1 Like