6-months alive network - would you pay for it?

Quick poll: would you pay for this?

Product: “paid ‘test’ network”

For customers:

• Network will be alive for 6 months
  • +25 virtual servers around the world
  • Pay $5/month to subscribe and earn 500 PUTs for free
  • 1k PUTs pack for $14.99
  • You can buy as many PUTs you want

For investors:

• 20 Vultr servers ($2.5 each) = $50/month * 6 months = $300 total
  • 5 DigitalOcean ($5 each) = $25/month * 6 months = $150 total
  • Total infrastructure cost = $450
  • Total space = 20 Vultr * 20GB + 5 DO * 20GB = 400GB + 100GB = 500 GB
  • Total available safe space = 500 GB / 4 copies * 0.80 spare limit = 100 GB
  • Available PUTs = worst case scenario = 100k PUTs, average = 200k
  • 200k PUTs = $3,000
  • Infrastructure can grow up according its use - we will use DO’s “block storages” (very cheap)
  • Prediction per client = 1 sign up + 2 “1k-PUT” pack = $35
  • Capacity = 80 clients
  • Total investment = $450
  • 13 clients = pays the infrastructure
  • 50 clients = $1,295 profit
  • 100 clients = $3,045 profit
  • 200 clients = $6,545 profit
  • 500 clients = $17,045 profit

Product will have 1,000 shares. Each share costs $0.45 and can profit between $0 and $17.

Besides that, more costs would be involved, like:

• website to sign up and buy PUTs;
  • changes in the autenticator to validate username/password on the website too;
  • people to answer the support;
  • changes in the code to not allow farming;
  • changes in the code to use more than 50% of the available space (change to 80%);
  • changes in the code to do only 4 copies;
6 Likes

What’s the point of paying for a test network for 6 months when it will become obsolete in a week?

4 Likes

Chunks are duplicated 8 times and spare limit is 0.50, so available space is 31 GB, shared between all users! Sorry, I didn’t pay attention to the code change.Thanks @DavidMc0.

So, first 500 MBs cost $5/month and each next GB costs a $14.99 one time payment. Why would anybody pay these prices when a 32 GB USB flash drive costs about $9.

1 Like

The original post states the following:

1 Like

I think it’s so that there’s a usable test network that’s up & running constantly for developing and showing off apps ahead of the main network being ready to do this.

This could be a valuable service ahead of a stable Alpha that’s running constantly, though of course it’d be used in parallel to test networks that will receive all of the latest features for testing.

For a long time Alpha 1 was being useful while it was technically outdated. Saying that, I think it’d be worth waiting for the new API & Mutable data before starting any private test / developer / demo network.

I’d be happy to chip in a small amount if people wanted this to develop against, as money is needed to pay for hosting it, though I’d be more comfortable if it were run at cost + some pay to the person setting it up, instead of for profit at this stage.

2 Likes

Interesting idea, now we are about to have some (potentially) invite only test nets.

I agree, the whole for profit thing sounds iffy.

2 Likes