$40 SDR for mesh networking?

Anything between 2nd WW and the shooting of those fellas was about but self-defense. Why would anyone bother, right? You know, let´s agree to disagree, there´s really no more points to discuss. I´m quite happy that the majority in my society agrees that it is better to transparently distribute radio waves. Since you are unhappy with your society, it´s up to you to find a better one or convince your fellow citizens of changing the rules. I keep my own theories why the latter didn´t work out.

3 Likes

Good link to have handy. And I agree “self defense” can be used as an excuse for both cowardice and offensive actions. War being one example, an armed cop shooting an unarmed surrendering civilian to be another. “Oh I feared for my life from the guy holding an ipod!” “Oh we had to go to war. We might be invaded by that country on a continent half way across the planet! We were defending ourselves!” And this is the point at which people start getting aggrivated and saying one is completely full of it. But yes I quite agree on THAT point you’re making.

Agree to disagree? Sure. I can work with that. As for transparently distributing radiowaves that wasn’t the issue. It was coercively doing so using a centralized state database and using legalation to penalize those that didn’t comply with the rules. But if all you wanted was to transparently distribute radiowaves you could probably figure a way to do that voluntarily and in a decentralized manner quite easily.

Actually my original point before all this bruhaha went down was that by releasing the tech people would be able to make their own decisions and overrule state legislation. What they do with it at that point is anyone’s guess. What I’m unhappy with is when people assume that a society needs rulers in order to function. It doesn’t. Anarchy is about no rulers, not about having no rules.

1 Like

I came to have interest in maidsafe network because it is the best option to merge mesh networks with wired networks. I dream of a layered network from fixed stationary fiber cable connecting city to city, too high speed wifi connecting house to house and all the way down the line to connecting smart cars in a city to androids devices in a university or a shopping mall.
I would like to see wifi towers built and satellites reach the most remote places on earth. I would like to see boats to cargo ships all meshing and networking together.
Damn it if I could microchip everything in or physical world to farm and network maidsafe, from the trees to the animals.
everything that provides any service to our planet, walk past a street lamp post that provides light from solar power, I pay a micro payment or a tree with water sensors that I water to maintain it’s life pays me a micro payment or I could pay the tree a payment for providing food or oxygen.
really there is no limit to our imagination in the future.

3 Likes

And just out is what the friends at FCC are cooking and what I correctly stated you should expect:

Manufacturers of any radio including certified modular transmitters which includes a software defined radio must take steps to ensure that only software that has been approved with a particular radio can be loaded into that radio. The software must not allow the installers or end-user to operate the transmitter with operating frequencies, output power, modulation types or other radio frequency parameters outside those that were approved.

https://archive.is/IRg51#selection-7205.0-7209.570

It was funny that some expected comms oligopolists would give up just because there’s a DIY solution.

It’s no different than bitcoin in finance. Just because you have something that works great for you doesn’t mean they’ll let you use it.

Told you so!

1 Like