3D printed houses

4 Likes

Have they done any of these pojects in cold climates where you’d need insulation do you know @19eddyjohn75 ?

5 Likes

I’m a bit shocked that they aren’t printing in air-crete … it’s a technique of mixing soap-bubbles into cement. Saves on cement cost and insulates - also still very strong and resists cracking. Can be sanded like wood. It’s amazing stuff. I expect it’s just building codes/regulation holding it back.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen a machine 3d print in cold climates, insulation is taken into account though on projects where it’s needed. It would be fun to see an Buckminster Fuller size igloo delivered by the Inuit people :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’ve recently seen this video about 3D printing: 3D Printed house: lies?
Cool technology, but not bad if someone does a practical analysis, like in this video.

2 Likes

There were youtube vids several years ago of this being done by a Russian company. They did a double layer which was filled with insulation.

I saw a thorough experiment with aircrete (various mixtures) and unfortunately - at least in that experiment - the strength of it was not anywhere near regular concrete.

4 Likes

Of course not. It would defy physics if it was. Also don’t compare concrete with cement or aircrete. They aren’t using concrete in these 3D builds as they’d never get it through the print-head. So some cement mix. It’s a simple matter to engineer wall thickness to account for needed strength and aircrete is plenty strong enough. The benefit is super insulative and easy to work with.

Research group at my uni is very deep in this, first 3D printed house in Europe is right next door but this isn’t without it’s fair share of criticism, for one, your options are quite dull with a single material and then the fact that cement production and utilization accounts for 8% of global CO2 emissions.

4 Likes

Alternative approach here using calcium carbonate and toilet paper

2 Likes

Hempcrete is the way forward :slight_smile:
Dual-use crops for the win…

4 Likes

Just heard of aircrete and carbon fiber mix? Maybe worth checking out.

I think those Lego like rammed earth blocks are some of the coolest.

1 Like

3D printing is the wave of the future.