21 > 20: Dawn's plans for 2015 (Yes, we're making that router)

Actually it’s not, not anymore than any otther kind of gardening or farming. The problem is keeping your crop isolated from pesticides and GMO crops so that it STAYS organic and that can be labour intensive since if you get a bunch of GMO seed blown onto your field you need to go in and manually weed it all out to keep from being sued by Monsanto or whatever. Perhaps Dawn should create a scalable biosphere that can be automated to tend to crops, e.g. watering, weeding, planting seeds, managing humidy, tempature, light and so forth. Such a thing would not only be useful for plants but also for managing animals like bees which are rapidly being killed off and are essential to the planet’s ecosystem and many of the species of plants we use for food.

Something to consider is that if you replace people’s jobs with machines then where are people getting their income from? It’s not that people want to work it’s they want an income to pay for things they need. So at the same time that you replace jobs you need to promote and enable self sufficiency so that people don’t need the jobs you are making obsolete. Otherwsiee you’re just making a whole lot of people destitute and unable to buy your product which in turn puts you out of business and/or just making the corporations richer.

I love the GVCS. I’m not quite talking about that, though. I would like Dawn to make robots that free man from the land, and can help to produce food even in environments that require a great deal of labor today. One of the dystopia scenarios that I’d like to avoid is soylent green :).

2 Likes

@blindsite2k:

I think that there’s plenty of wealth for humanity. I think it simply needs to be spread around better. I don’t know your professional background, but to me, the fact that we’ve got to work in order to have any sort of a place in society whatsoever, coupled with the fact that low wage jobs do not pay enough to live on, well, not to be dramatic, but it smacks of slavery…

Humans are capable of so much more than work; they just have to be given time in which to do it (which is currently spent at work).

3 Likes

Wealth generated by whom and spread how? Yes I agree there’s plenty of wealth to be had which is why I was advocating replacing jobs with self sufficiency however you can’t just magically assume people will get money to spend on your product when they can’t get a job when it’s been taken by a bot. Now if you could invent a bot to increase their self sufficiency and reduce their relience on the rat race THEN they might be able to afford your product.

Saying the rat race is slavery does not reduce people’s dependence upon it. I AGREE with your position however that does not change the fact that most people still go to the store to buy food instread of growing it themselves (even tho most suburbanites have lawns). It doesn’t change the fact that we have a consumerist rather than productionist culture. And it certainly doesn’t change that in order to survive the majority of people are addicted to money and the aquisition thereof. So until such things are changed the original problem remains: where is your potential customer’s income coming from if a robot takes his job?

The robot.

1 Like

we will continue doing what we do best as a society: creating BS jobs.

most of the jobs today are total BS, and could easily be replaced by tech.

we always find ways to circulate money (e.g. begging! worst case scenario lol) and again, I repeat, most of the jobs today are total bs. Just walk into ANY store in America (or any chain ANYWHERE) and try to tell me otherwise.

and I have no doubts that we will continue to do so for as long as we need to, until we have evolved past financially exclusive economies (with the help of SAFE and the technological progress & eventual demonetization of all the goods and services it will allow for, a.k.a. mass decentralization of information and then ultimately of production).

There is a very interesting paper written on BS jobs globally, and it is a great read; I highly reccomend it.

2 Likes

It’s a sad situation regarding the BS jobs: This is stopping our evolution as a species.

2 Likes

Howdy all, I would like to update the lot of you on the promised device. I’ll keep it really short and simple:

I’m moving back to Shenzhen. I’ll keep everyone posted.

2 Likes

Hey @faddat I’m considering your router but I was previously sold on a different router that makes its own mesh network, the eero. Finally, a Whole Home WiFi System That Works-Best Coverage Mesh Wifi by eero
Obviously the fact you run an open company with open software is more in line with my desires to support but could you tell me how you compare with the eero especially pertaining to ease of use and mesh abilities?

3 Likes