10 key facts about Safe Network

Dear Happybeing! I have been on a sabbatical this past year my father passed this past May so we had old fashion British Merchant Navy Liverpool send off so they call it our sea mate went over the bar! I just wanted to say hello and its amazing how the project is growing and really respect the community values. Kalelemasalo

2 Likes

Welcome back. Iā€™m sorry about your dad.

3 Likes

Dear Happybeing,

Thank you for email and will be contributing and lining up new business with the platform . Exciting to finally get all my legal and corp and intellectual property and which Eu country

to be based out of. Cheerā€™s ! Mark

3 Likes

The second link to the Youtube video is dead. But the facts is a really great idea for beginners! Thank You for that! Keep them updated!

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. Fixed now. Cheers

2 Likes

Fact 5 of ā€œ10 key facts for new usersā€ describes how to try use Alpha 2,

I suggest extending that with a reference to Creating your WebID on the SAFE Network (Alpha-2) covering how to test Alpha 2 with (a slightly fork of) Peruse browser and Solid.

6 Likes

Good plan. I will wait for Peruse 0.7.0 then will do exactly that.

1 Like

This is so well thought out and explained. Iā€™m actually so impressed at how these things are actually happening today. Much respect to everyone actually developing this stuff.

6 Likes

Quite informative. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Iā€™m here because of you, happybeing. Maybe I can bring some programmers that I know to help with the project and/or bring their solutions into the mix.
I wanted to tell you about one guyā€™s stable of solutions who has been sounding the Watchmanā€™s Rattle on this issue for years on Periscope as @robmusic. Heā€™s a jazz pianist and programmer, (on Twitter he is: @robmusic0) who has built an encrypted social networking site that addresses some of these important concerns discussed here.
Brax has been functional for years already. Itā€™s got encrypted group chat, monetization, micro-broadcasting and other advantages.
You can sign up: at Brax.me without phone number or email. There you can correspond with Rob Braxman - he doesnā€™t use email anymore because itā€™s insecure!
Robā€™s site about Internet security is called: www.whatthezuck.net Heā€™s got many additional solutions, such as a paid VPN that has an additional option of running on the TOR network.
Another of Robā€™s solutions to help private communication is web hosted membership (he calls it ā€œSocial Vision.ā€) It includes a public site, but acts as a portal to encrypted private areas. If preferred, it includes an optional private version of Brax (Or you can allow members to access the larger version of Brax.) This arena of ā€œSocial Visionā€ functions sort of like an old-time bulletin board forum that is securely encrypted to contain any invention, project or customers. Itā€™s even got a phone app version.
Perhaps Robā€™s work that heā€™s already done could be the new social networking solution for this platform?
Rob has been working all by himself, trying to convince non-programmers of the need for privacy for soooo long. It would be fitting just desserts for him to be paid for his work that heā€™s been providing to Brax members for free from his commitment to his personal campaign for privacy.

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Your first SAFE website ā€“ start to finish in just 20 minutes

With the recent growing censorship of even harmless sites like Zerohedge, I am really behind this effort.

9 Likes

Just updating this again. (Thanks for the nudge @Dimitar).

Let me know if anything is wrong or missing - easily changed.

5 Likes

Users will pay a one-time fee to store data, but downloading data and browsing sites on the network will be free.

I donā€™t understand the aboveā€¦

1. A farmer presumably receives the reward for hosting the data - once received what incentive is there to persist that data?
  2. If I pay once to store a large video file can that then be downloaded n times by others?

Thank-you.

1 Like

If you donā€™t have the data you will be punished, as with everything a node is expected to do, if you donā€™t do it adequately you will pay a price.

Correct.

3 Likes

Thank-you @happybeing

(1) now makes perfect sense
(2) I think Iā€™m beginning to grasp the idea - utilise unused resource and present business opportunities whereby scaling is built in and FOC. Very nice.

One more, if you please. If I upload a file of 1KB, I presumably pay a smaller fee than a 1MB file? What happens if I then update that file, say adding several TBs.

4 Likes

You pay per chunk (up to 1Mb) and can add as many chunks as you wish.

8 Likes