MaidSafe Dev Update - June 8, 2017

SAFE Browser v0.2.1 and Web Hosting Manager v0.1.0 built against mock routing are available for download. The API docs have been updated (Node.js API and DOM API).

In addition, we are also working on a Getting started or User walkthrough content and we are happy to share the initial draft of the same. This content will be improved in the weeks to follow and we will eventually take this to the dev website.

On another note, we received a package from @beekeeper who sent three jars of honey all the way to Troon. This sweet (see what we did there) gesture is very much appreciated and the fact that the honey came from Ron’s very own hives makes it all the more special! Now, back to the serious stuff…

SAFE Authenticator & API

The safe_app_nodejs and DOM APIs are now up-to-date with the dev branch of safe_client_libs. A few issues with the authenticator and the DOM APIs were fixed. We also identified that the network status callback is not propagated in the DOM API, and so we will be implementing this at the earliest. We are testing the APIs with small code snippets which you can find in the Getting started draft mentioned in the introduction.

@Kumar has resumed work and he has wired up the MutableData API for safe_app_java. We are expecting to wind this week with a feature complete safe_app_java API and start with the test cases for MutableData and NFS emulations next week.

SAFE Client Libs & Vault

This week’s major change has been the merge of the large pull request for the safe_vault repository. This hits an important milestone of bringing support for MutableData to vaults, which were the only missing component required for transition to the new apps authorisation paradigm. We continue to test these features and we’re running soak tests to catch any remaining bugs and inconsistencies, as we want to make sure they won’t ruin the user experience. After these tests are done, we’re going to run an internal network and test it in a real-world environment.

The mutable-data branch in vaults also needs a few minor tweaks to catch up on changes that were made in the master branch, such as invitation-based accounts registration, so that’s also what we’ll be focused on for the rest of this week.

Upcoming changes in routing will also affect tests in vaults. Improved message delivery randomisation in mock-crust allows to run soak tests more efficiently and it already helped us in catching some rare bugs in vaults.

In parallel, we’re starting to investigate a possible new feature for SAFE Client Libs to support transactional mutations. We are considering it as a solution to the operation recovery problem. It might help in guaranteeing that sequences of operations are executed in full (or not executed at all), without an option to leave data in an incorrect state.

Routing

We keep extending the simulation and added tools to produce graphs that visualise how each section reaches consensus on its member list and prefix. With its help, we made a few more tweaks to the rules of Option B to reduce the number of messages that need to be sent.

This graph shows the number of messages in flight (queue size) and sent as well as the total number of nodes in each step of the simulation. The y-axis is the index of the current step, i.e. time flows from the left to the right.

The spikes show the casting of votes by nodes in cases of churn, and subsequently trying to agree on valid blocks (representing the outcome of that event) eventually. Each spike roughly corresponds to a churn event, i.e. a node joining or leaving or a section splitting or merging.

To look at the development of the simulated network in more detail, we can also produce a graph that shows each valid block.

This one actually represents the same run of the simulation, but allows you to retrace in detail how the network gained nodes, split into six sections, lost nodes and merged back into one again. Time flows roughly from the top to the bottom, although two blocks of different sections (e.g. prefix 10 and 11) with the same version (e.g. 63, in this example) didn’t necessarily become valid at the same time.

It also illustrates a central difference between option B and option A: In option B (simulated here) you occasionally see two or three “contradictory” blocks with the same version and prefix which both became valid, i.e. the nodes didn’t strictly decide, for example, whether node 1 left before or after node 2: they declared both sequences of events to be valid. This slight “uncertainty” yields a simpler message flow, fewer rounds of message exchanges and faster accumulation of valid blocks.

In routing master, we are further extending the mock Crust tests in order to cover even more possible sequences in which messages could be handled. In the current implementation, for example, the tests don’t simulate situations where two nodes exchange several messages back and forth while a message from a third node is in flight. If we make the test suite general enough to take all kinds of extreme message delay scenarios into account, we hope to find potential problems much sooner in the future.

65 Likes

beep beep ! first :smiley:

7 Likes

#Community Audio Call now!

Providing for anyone who needs it.

Ask anything! Get support

(2nd is the best :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

Great update!!..

4 Likes

@beekeeper can you post a link to your site and do you accept bitcoin and/or maidsafe? Great stuff!!

6 Likes

Any info on how close we are to the next test network? I didn’t spot anything on that in the post, but perhaps I missed it?

2 Likes

this really smells GOOD

5 Likes

see this part of the update:

15 Likes

So yeah I guess I read over it haha, thanks Francis :innocent:

5 Likes

there can never be an orphean (or maybe we should say “undecided”) block ? what rules makes it that it does merge in the end ?

this simulated network chart is impressive :+1:
Lol, I had to zoom it out so much…:wink:

5 Likes

This is really nice! Great update as always, so much hard work, as always! Keep the coffee and honey flowing in Troon. Thanks to @beekeeper for adding some extra sweetness to this update ;-).

14 Likes

Pictures! Marvelous, thank you all. Well done @beekeeper - :bee:

12 Likes

Awesomeness :grinning: it’s getting exciting again!!

8 Likes

Is there any way to log out of the web_hosting_manager ? :stuck_out_tongue:

What exactly is the web host manager and how does it work?

Thanks for the update and the honourable mention :blush: @maidsafe

@BIGbtc
We don’t have a website, I’m the beekeeper and the missus sells jars at local farmers markets (we recently won an award for the ‘best local product’ in the Milton Keynes food and leisure awards). So it’s mainly focused on the local markets. We’ve got hives in Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire. Would gladly accept MAID yes, although because of practical reasons only for shipping within the UK. Can send me a pm if you’re interested, or to talk about bees, beekeepers love to talk about bees :slight_smile:

@polpolrene
It’s all self interest, trying to get that sugar rush going so they don’t realise they’ve been working all through the night. Ha!

@happybeing

22 Likes

Huge Bee supporter here and so impressed with your efforts. Check this out Our Offers - Fairmont Hotels and Resorts The Royal York Hotel in Toronto rooftop has 300,000 bees. Bees are the planets canary in the coal mine.

7 Likes

hmm… is anyone getting that screen as often as I am?

Across several machines, can’t upload & test code

I’ll give Linux a try now

2 Likes

it’s kind of like what the Demo App used to be.

it lets you upload things to SAFE. Only websites so far.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Looks like we remain in anticipation mode just a bit longer! But, as they say: “If you wait, there will come nectar, like fair weather!”

Enjoy the nectar! …and the fair weather of Troon.

3 Likes